Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Thursday, July 1

Work Slowdown and An Old-Fashioned Placard

I was shocked to be informed that my job just shrank. As I was told after being hired, my hours depend on how much the store sells. When no cards or products are shipped, there is not very much to sell. And I get hours taken away...or days taken away...yesterday I had the entire day taken away.

I apply for other jobs constantly. But, no interviews, even, so far.

I think some parts of the country are faring well, and some not so well. I hear that where I live has "incredibly low" unemployment. That really isn't true. It is true that there are many people working part-time at very low hourly wages. But that isn't secure employment, or even full employment. Even jobs once thought of as secure are disappearing.

I'm back to plotting to move away...somewhere where I can have a much simpler life...dragging my son and husband and ancient dogs and four horrible cats with me, of course. Gosh, it is so hard to keep others afloat when yer skills are as poor as mine are. I can barely keep my own head above water...thinking about trying to live on a houseboat...oh dear, didn't I just say I couldn't keep my head above water? Bad if yer living on a boat, isn't it...since I can't manage The Middle Class Dream, maybe I should try for the Funky Weird Subsistence Dream. Or mayhap I'm just going crazy.

Definite unsettled vibe out there among many lately! I'm not the only one feeling kind of stir-crazy!





27 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Debra

    Oh Hooly- I sure hope you get another job interview! I too am feeling the unsettled vibe!
    I would love to move where the economy is better- but where in the heck is that?!
    I am not sure about a house boat- I live in a primitive enough abode as it is- can't imagine a houseboat- besides the water would freeze around it here- it is probably warm enough in Texas though! So maybe you are onto something. I still hope for that little cabin in the woods!

  • Dawn

    Ugh, I've had it all afternoon too, that unsettled vibe! The poor young man who often works on the yard for my hubby is about to lose his mom to cancer. He came and cried on our front porch with my hubby today. Something he can't do in front of her or his brothers.

    The only other neighbor we talk to much just put a for sale sign up. I'm devestated. He was close to retiring, got laid off 3 years ago, has been trying to make a go of it with a small hotdog stand... They've lost everything and they worked so hard...

    Ugh, Ugh, Ugh!

    Here's a thought, the 4 units across the street have been totally renovated and are ready to be rented out...we could gather up some donkey frens and start a commune.

  • Julia

    Got a few butterflies in my stomach too. The books landed today. Be expecting a package very soon. I sincerely hope it cheers you up.

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    Girl, I've been hanging in here since 2005 when that hateful gal Katrina wiped out my job overnight and that's with more than 20 years of legal experience under my belt! I've sent out so many resumes it makes me ill.

    There has been a weird vibe here lately hasn't it? I don't like it a bit!!

    Hope that you find something soon.

  • Country Whispers

    I think the job situation is the same no matter where you go. Good paying jobs with security are few and far between. Thanks to our lovely Gov't almost every one of our utilities have been allowed to raise their rates yet none of our jobs have increased in pay. It's hard to make ends meet and frustrating because there is no end in sight.

  • Simply Debbie

    RICHARD AND I USE TO SPEND HOURS TALKING ABOUT BUYING A BARGE AND THEN BUILDING A LITTLE VICTORIAN COTTAGE ON IT AND SAILING UP AND DOWN AND ALL AROUND. I AM QUITE SURE I WOULD BE HAPPY AND CONTENT LIVING ON A HOUSEBOAT. THINK OF THE PICTURES YOU COULD TAKE...COULD WRITE A BOOK, MY LIFE ON THE RIVER...I ALWAYS LOVED THE OLD MOVIES ABOUT TAMMY AND SHE LIVED ON A HOUSEBOAT...THE NELLIE B OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
    I'M GAIN, IF YOUR GAIN.
    I'M SO SORRY CARD SALES ARE DOWN BUT THE BIGGEST HOLIDAYS LIKE MOTHER'S DAY, FATHER'S DAY, AND CHRISTMAS AND VALENTINES IS PAST...I AM SO VERY SORRY HOLLY, THAT YOU OF ALL PEOPLE, THE LADY WITH THE MOST GIVING HEART IS HAVING A TERRIBLE TIME. IT ANGERS ME THAT SO MANY PEOPLE I LOVE ARE SUFFERING....BUT THE RAINBOW IS WAITING FOR US, JUST A LITTLE WAYS DOWN THE ROAD...AND IT IS SO VERY BEAUTIFUL.
    LOVE AND HUGS HOLLY
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

  • AkasaWolfSong

    Holly...I'm sorry you are and yours are having to go through this. So many of us are just making ends meet. Unemployment is very high in my area too. I live in an area of manufacturing and machining along with construction and those have pretty much been outsourced overseas and for the construction aspect have come to a halt because not many are buying new homes these days. I've said all along I don't understand why folks cannot buy an older home and just renovate but that is my way of thinking. I cannot see grazing more and more of Mother Earth to put up a new home. You know the old song...'Hey Paradise, put up a parking lot.' It just doesn't make good sense.
    I do hope you find what you need, and as for houseboats I have always thought it'd be cool to live on one...you could go up and down the Mississippi all year long on one as the seasons change.
    Hang in there girl and know my thoughts and prayers are with you!
    Many Blessings!

  • Anvilcloud

    Well, that kinda sucks. I hope that things turn around for you soon. Although a boat sounds attractive in its own way, I think it would require a reduced household in terms of humans and beasts.

  • Carmen S.

    I kinda like the houseboat idea:) No jobs for me either, kind of wondering if there were any, what I'd be able to do anyway between my fibromyalgia and my stupid back, life is depressing, but hang in there friend and just *keep on keepin' on*!

  • Anonymous

    Hope your job situation gets better soon. I grew up near a river and I down't think I could live on one. I breathe a pray of thanks every day that my family have jobs. Take care, Sally

  • Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space

    I know you can do it!!!! keep your chin up. We have had real dry spots in the work lately, too. It can be scary. I believe you can do anything! Blessings.

  • ★Carol★

    I'm pretty sure that things are alot worse out there than the news is letting on. Sorry your hours are being cut, but I know that you will land on yer feet. A houseboat actually sounds pretty good, because then you won't have to pay any property taxes, right? As long as you just float around and don't stay in one place, it could work!

  • Knitty

    How is the unemployment percentage figured? If it is based on people eligible to collect, the numbers are off because I know people who are beyond all possible extensions, and it isn't that they are lazy and not looking. :( Also, many people were hired to work the census which obviously isn't an ongoing position.

    I truly believe things will get better, I just hope everyone can hang in until it does.

    Good luck to you and yours, dear Holly.

  • Marjorie (Molly) Smith

    Holly, it is tough around here too, the oil spill and shutting down drilling has really hurt this area, most everyone in these parts are connected to the oil fields in one way or another.... I Thank God every day that my boys still have good jobs and pray they can hang on to them. 1 is in Med. the other 2 work for gas companies and if some people had their way the ones working for the gas company would be out of work. Seems like there is a war going on against, gas, oil and coal. Some folks can't figure out if you shut these companies down energy will go through the roof and 100s of thousand more will be unemployed, and with the economy like it is that is all we need more folks looking for work and higher bills we can't pay.
    I will pray that you find something to do soon.
    There are bad vibes all over the country right now.
    Molly

  • xashee's corner

    i hear you on the unsettling vibe!! my DH has been laid off now for 1 1/2 years and is even trying to get a job with McDonald's!! it's really bad when my DS has the only job and is basically supporting us through this horrible time! my computer is still broken and i am still using DH's computer with all its problems! Hang in there, my friend, they say God will never give us more than we can handle! my prayers are always with you! :)

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Well Poop!
    Most of the younger gals who work at the library have 2 other part time jobs. If I was 15 yrs. younger, that's what I'd be doing as well to make ends meet. Small town USA is great, but, alas...no FULL time benefited jobs anywhere in the county unless you have a master's degree in something, and possess such a unique skill, like brain surgeon or something else that sets one apart from the pack of hungry wolves, all climbing up on one another for "the opening."
    America has become Part time only for most.
    No security of any kind can be counted on for most of the population these days. We're just part of that group. I work 16 hrs a wk., Josh had to beg for 17 hrs. a wk, and not be cut any more. Jim, is full time, with benefits, but that job is literally killing him, emotionally & phsically. This is nuts, isn't it? I know that you're worried, and frustrated, and want to start anew. Maybe you're supposed to!
    Trust you gut, you have good instincts. You'll do what you have to, 'cause you're a survivor.
    Women are the backbone of a family...no matter how bossy and controlling a man thinks he is!

  • ClassyChassy

    Michigan still has one of the highest unemployment rates. They say there are less jobless folk, but they only go by how many are collecting unemployment. And now that extensions are cut off for us unemployed workers, that should REALLY make our state look like the unemployment rate is LOWER! Grumble grumble grumble....I know how to do so many different things - talents in medical, art, animals, floral design, gardening, admin. assistant, physical therapy, nurse aid, professional housekeeping - I cannot BUY a job! Go read my post about the wrinkles - it may cheer you up! **hugs**

  • Amrita

    Oh dear my comment got wiped out so I am trying again.

    I am so sorry about your job situation. Keep trying Holly I know you will find a better place.

    I 've love to live on a houseboat. In Kashmir they have house boats called shikaras.


    I wore your chain and ring to the courthouse today

  • Amrita

    Oh dear my comment got wiped out so I am trying again.

    I am so sorry about your job situation. Keep trying Holly I know you will find a better place.

    I 've love to live on a houseboat. In Kashmir they have house boats called shikaras.


    I wore your chain and ring to the courthouse today

  • Amrita

    Oh dear my comment got wiped out so I am trying again.

    I am so sorry about your job situation. Keep trying Holly I know you will find a better place.

    I 've love to live on a houseboat. In Kashmir they have house boats called shikaras.


    I wore your chain and ring to the courthouse today

  • Thoughts on Life and Millinery.

    Unsettled is right...check the dropping like a rock dow jones and other stock markets. Our jobs are secure, but I still have an urge to move to someplace off the grid, raise my own food and dig in for the duration. I remember seeing pictures of Hoovervilles during the era of Herbert Hoover's depression. How soon will we be setting up Obamatowns under bridges and such?

  • OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts

    yeppers, I to am feeling the unsettling vibe. We have had to eat up our savings and have now moved on to retirement funds. SM just got a new job but it does not even cover the bills and we don't have them nasty credit card bills...just day to day. Life is iffffffy at best most days. But ya know, I still get up feeling like something good will come of each and every day I am allowed to draw breathe. It's the only way to not go out to the woods and find a tree and a long rope. My luck, rotten rope, medical bills.

  • Doris Sturm

    This sounds really sad, but I've been struggling for so long that I've become quite good at being poor - or at least good at ignoring to want what I know I can't have and just focuss on what I do have, but then, I just have me and the pets to think of and you have two other humans in the household that need you. I'm sorry that life has to be so difficult for some people when it isn't even long enough to begin with.

    Thank you for being you! I will keep you in my prayers!

    Love,
    Doris and Gizzy :-)

  • LV

    I LOVE SEEING ALL THE CUTE THINGS ON YOUR BLOG. SORRY ABOUT YOUR WORK. SO MANY PEOPLE ARE HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS. TRUST THINGS WILL IMPROVE FOR YOU SOON.

  • Linda @ A La Carte

    Almost one year with out a job and nothing in sight. It's very scary and lots of bad vibes here also.

  • Ridgewoman

    I feel such empathy for all yer little donkeys. I remember when my DH was out of work and we had 3 children, lived in a nice trailer; he could not get a custodian's job. Then FINALLY he got a job with the city; but, the pediatrician said our youngest would not survive in wet Oregon. So we pulled up stakes and headed back to California and lived with DH folks for a while; my dad gave us the down payment and we bought a little old house and DH went to work for Italian Swiss Colony. Our granddaughter and her husband are living with us free gratis (they could not make it at all otherwise) and he is attending college; and she had six "little jobs' for income. I hope all those people who wanted CHANGE are really happy to see our country become a 3 d world entity! Obamanation, indeed! hugs, bj

  • Jacquelyn Stager

    We went through the unemployment thing twice in six years. NE Ohio has suffered greatly economically...Hope your hours pick up for you Holly!

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...