Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Tuesday, July 13

I Spied Her

Yesterday was a trip to San Angelo, Texas, to see if we want to move there. There's two lakes there and a two branches of a very little river; you can live along the river (if you are a millionaire) or one of the lakes (more reasonable). I'm behind in my emails from just one lil' day away from the computer!

On the way, we saw thousands of tarantulas trying to cross the highway. They are on the move all over West Texas. All the rain has brought them out. I feel bad fer the poor things, the victims of the rushing cars. But then, I'm not scared of spiders. Never mind the fact that I showed my slip (and drawers, I'm afraid) to quite a few motorists at a rest stop. I wore a ground-sweeping skirt fer the trip and was trying to catch a lil' tiny toad I saw hoppin' along in the grass and suddenly thought I felt a spider sneaking up my skirt...oh my. A whirling dervish had nothin' on me, dearies, and I definitely gave myself a few bruises in my zeal to remove the [non-existent] spider.

Here is a vintage image of two ladies busy squishing spiders in the old days. Ah, I hope not! Thought it might be cute fer scrapbooking or bloggies. It gets much bigger when regular-clicked. Right-click any size to save.


17 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Bernie

    Oh Holly I'm sorry but I had to lol when you thought you had a spider go up your skirt, I would of been frantic as well. I bet you looked really cute though all dressed up.
    I didn't realize you were planning on moving, hope all goes well for you.....:-) Hugs

    PS: So love this vintage picture, thank you, xo

  • Doris Sturm

    I always liked spiders, but NOT ON ME ;-) and as of late not in the house because I'm concerned for the pets. When you're on a budget, you are always concerned about nobody getting hurt unneccessarily, right?

    Are you guys thinking it over as to where you want to move? Moving is so tiring, especially in this heat...maybe you could wait till it gets a bit cooler...

    Have a nice day, m'lady :-)

  • Simply Debbie

    OH HOLLY,
    I COULDN'T HELP BUT LAUGH BECAUSE I WOULD STILL BE TWIRLING IF I THOUGHT ONE WENT UP MY SKIRT. ONE DAY A MOUSE RAN UP MY GRANDDAD'S OVERALLS WHEN HE WAS TRYING TO GET HIMSELF SOME ICE CREAM. HE GRABBED THAT MOUSE PULLED HIM OUT HIS PANT LEG...HIT HIM ON THE HEAD WITH HIS ICE CREAM SCOOP THREW HIM OUT THE BACK DOOR AND CONTINUED SCOOPING UP HIS ICE CREAM...I PASSED ON ICE CREAM THAT NIGHT BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO KNOW MY GRANDDAD TO KNOW HOW FUNNY IT WAS.
    I HOPE YOU DIDN'T HURT YOURSELF TOO BAD.
    WHY ARE YOU CONSIDERING SAN ANGELO....DID YOU GET A JOB OFFER THERE? IS THAT WHERE THE BASE IS AND THEY HAVE THE BOARDWALK OR IS THAT SAN ANTINIO?????
    I HAVE SEVERAL SCRAPBOOKS WHERE I HAVE RESEARCHED THE TITANIC AND THE PASSENGERS ON IT. I WROTE A 12 PART DEVOTIONAL FOR LADIES IN HOW ONE ICEBERG CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER...AND THEY PUT THEIR TRUST IN MEN WHO BRAGGED IT WAS UNSINKABLE AND THEREFORE THERE WERE HALF THE LIFEBOATS NEEDED. I LOVE TO DO RESEARCH...WE ARE MUCH A LIKE.
    LOVE AND HUGS HOLLY
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

  • Anvilcloud

    I recall driving along an isolated road littered with frogs one foggy night. Or should that be one froggy night?

  • Ruby

    I don't know which is funnier your posts or the comments! Thanks for the graphic. :)

  • Anonymous

    I remember when we lived in Texas and we had to stop the car to let a HUGE tarantula cross the street. Luckily it was just us on the road but we couldn't believe how big the thing was. I hate spiders! Like Debbie, I'd still be twirling.. gives me chills just thinking about it.

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Yep, that mental image of skirts up and undies on display has burned a hole in my brain! You're so entertaining...not just for us, but for the masses! Cannot...imagine...the sight...of all those spideys...ugh.
    Love your old timey gals...everything you present us is such a treat.
    Hope San Angelo has something for each and every one of you. Why, are there Ruskies in Midland?

  • Amrita

    A cottage by the lakeside sounds divine. And you can fish in there too.

    TX wildlife is glorious. LOL I am smiling at that brisk spider dance of yours.

    Once a lizard jumped on my back and I screamed and danced like a banshee.

  • Anonymous

    Thanks for this pic Holly. Good luck with house hunting. Gad, I hate the feeling of somethng crawlin' on me...get it off! You and your bloggie commenters made me roar today...thanks I needed that. Smiles, Sally

  • Beansieleigh

    Oh dear, If there was a spider like THAT anywhere on me, I can easily see myself frantically jumping around and screaming about it too! I wouldn't care WHO was around! HOWEVER, when I was done, every yellow-bellied coward who just watched, and didn't RUN to my aid, had better RUN as fast as their little legs will carry them away from ME!! ha! ha!.. LOVE the sweet image you're sharing today. Thanks again! ((hugs)) ~tina

  • Carmen S.

    You are a very brave soul, I am absolutely TERRIFIED of spiders and the bigger they are ....OH MY! When I worked at the vet clinic we had a client bring a pet tarantula in and just viewing it from across the room made me dizzy and terrified:(

  • OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts

    My daughter went to school in Portales, so we saw lots of big hairy spiders on the road...along with my beloved turtles. The march of the tarantula is quite a scene to behold. My brother had one when I was a kid so I don't have any fear of them but I wouldn't want a "wild" one dancing around on my petticoats either.

  • ★Carol★

    My sister used to live in Missouri, and she said there was a particular time of year where there would be tarantulas all over the road. Maybe mating season? I always felt so sorry for the ones that probably got squished on the road. I don't like spiders, but I respect them and don't kill them. But if I thought there was one shimmying up my leg, I would be flying butt over elbows trying to get it off!

  • Mary

    Hi Holly,
    I would have been doing cartwheels if I thought a spider were up my dress! I'm not so very fond of spiders.
    Thanks so much for sharing the pretty graphics, sweetie!
    Have a beautiful day!

  • Debra

    OMG Holly! I sure wish I could have seen that!
    You are so much braver than I! There was wolf spider about as big asa tarantula today and I am sorry but I did kill it- didn't want to share my potty with it! Ugh! Of course you are so kind hearted I know you would not ever do that. Actually hubby turned green with fear so I had to do it!
    A house by the lake sounds wonderful!

  • Ridgewoman

    A house by a lake sounds better than a house by a river. But then, I've had a levee break and wash away my home.
    Tarantulas: I had to learn NOT to be afraid of them when I was 9 (1945) and living in Bullhead City AZ. My Dad's methods of making the daughter stoic was tormenting her (like an older brother or cousin?) He'd throw spiders on me…or give me a shoe box present (with a snake inside ~ non poisonous, of course). So although I may not have liked frogs n snakes I had what it takes ~ to cowboy up! DH hates anything that 'skitters' (like mice) and all snakes are endangered if he is around.

    Speaking of things crawling across Tejas roads (no, not armadillos) we were traveling in our motor coach ('81) to Weatherford, and had planned to stay overnight at Roswell, NM. Unfortunately our AAA brochure wasn't up to date and the parking area no longer existed; so we pushed , on and on….and on, north east. We were just about to stop at a turnout in Texas, when we began running over rattlesnakes migrating. They were at least as big around as my upper arm. Needless to say we didn't park 'long side of the road. Those were the longest, biggest, baddest rattlers I'd ever seen….(shiver)….
    xx bj

  • ByLightOfMoon

    Yes, your post comments are a blast to read, you have some wonderful folks following you. Spiders I am OK with, it is the BIG ones like you say, if I could SEE it crossing the road, that is to much for me.
    We have little green frogs around our house outside and they crawl up on my windows giving us a fun time to watch them. And the hummingbirds have been all over today at ALL Our feeders. Even many butterflies at the butterfly bush.
    My dream is to move by a river with a shade tree. I could do plein air art outside and make some progress. Hopefully in North Carolina where we dog-sit. One day when things are better!

    Oh, I wear long skirts a lot also, we need to make ourselves some panteloons like Magnolia Pearl wears. Just google her if you are not aware, She is worth it! And in August 2010 Romantic Homes is a photo of her Airstream Trailer, unbelievable beauty, you will love it, and she lives in South Texas also!
    Smiles, Cyndi

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...