Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Thursday, July 15

Oldies But Moldies

This lovely gal is holding a whole bouquet of summer loveliness. I cannot recall the artist off the top of my head, but I think it may be a Belgian artist of the 1800s. 

Along with the passe foods we were mentioning yesterday...PASSE HOUSEHOLD GOODS...Oh, you can still get these, but they aren't everyday-common like they were before...

Bellows
Garter belts
Detachable collars for men's shirts
Cufflinks
Matchsafes
Kerosene cans
Doorstops
Bug-spray atomizers that were pump-action
Parfum atomizers with the lil' rubber bulb
Greasepots (cooking grease poured into them)
Sawhorses
Hitching posts, of course
Flypaper
Rollers ("Rollers in your hair, shame on you! Rollers everywhere, shame on you!")
Ragbags
Those lil' coin purses you could pinch open -- coin purses in general!


18 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Dawn

    You forgot hot water bottles, in red of course! My mom, aunts, sister and I all have strait hair and spent years trying to curl it! Remember sitting under a hair drier for what seemed like forever to dry that hair in all those curlers? Or wearing a scarf all day to hide them while it dried. Worse yet, SLEEPING in curlers! And that was before the soft pink spongy ones! Then came all that time burning my fingers trying to get the hot rollers to stay in my hair long enough to cool and do their thing. Curling irons just tired out my arms. And no, I don't think perms will ever come back despite your predictions! I've finally given up and accepted my straight hair and what happens? All the young girls are flattening their beautiful curls! Now if I could just get into a pair of skinny jeans I'd be right in style! Ha! Ha!

  • Bernie

    This comment has been removed by the author.

  • Bernie

    Oh Holly you have certainly brought back memories these past 2 nights....oh those rollars, and garter belts....well we did live through it all didn't we.
    Hope you are feeling well my friend....:-)Hugs

  • Bernie

    Sorry I messed up my first comment, need spell check on comments, have a terrific Thursday, xo

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    I have possession of a coin purse and some rollers though the coin purse was my mama's and the rollers haven't seen my hair in quite a long time, but they are around here "somewhere." Oh and we do have some sawhorses, but they're plastic and not nearly as good as the old ones.

  • Carmen S.

    LOL, my hubby has quite a few kerosene cans and 4 sawhorses, maybe he is as old fashioned as me:D He'd never admit it tho;) Enjoy the day sweetie!!!

  • Home and Heart

    I think the artist is E. Vernon, although I have never seen this one, it's lovely! Thank you!

  • Debra

    What a lovely graphic!
    You have sure taken me back! I remember rollers and garter belts and of course girdles!!!
    the perfume atomizers ans the little pinch open coin purses!

  • Amrita

    You made me smile Hollee,

    Spray guns
    Kerosene cans
    bellows are still used in my part of the world! My kerosene stove is obsolete as I can 't find the wick anymore.
    I suppose type writier are going out , but I see plenty of them near certtain Govt. buildings (sidewalk typists). Good idea when the lights go off.

  • Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage

    Lovely graphic, Holly! I haven't had rollers in my hair since the day I got married. Thank goodness for flat irons and curling irons! We happen to have a saw horse which the builders left behind when they built our home. My Daddy used to collect kerosene lamps as a hobby. Actually he collected a lot of things because he was a pack rat! Thank you for that memory! Have a nice day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

  • Anonymous

    Yep, I still have a ragbag ' cause I get tired of the hubs ruining my good handtowels. When I grew up, we saved bacon grease and used it. Not to mention that we used lots of lard. I know it's bad for you but you can't beat the flavor. Prob why I have to take Crestor now...lol! Thanks for the pretty lady pic Holly. Smiles, Sally

  • Angela

    Beautiful lady with flowers! I can add one more to your list. A poke which is a bag! lol

    Hugs,
    Angela

  • Simply Debbie

    HOLLY,
    MY MOTHER WOULD SET ME AND MY SISTER DOWN AND SHE HAD A RAT TAIL COMB AND PINK DIPPITY DO...SHE WOULD USE THE END OF THE RAT TAIL COMB TO BRING UP THE AMOUT OF HAIR SHE NEEDED...PLASTER IT WITH PINK DIPPITY DO AND ROLL THE HAIR IN A BRUSH ROLLER AND PUT THAT PINK STICK PIN THROUGH OUR HEAD...IF YOU WIGGLED SHE POPPED YOU WITH THAT RAT TAIL COMB...WE SLEPT ON THE ROLLERS ALL NIGHT AND THE NEXT DAY THEIR WERE SEVERE DENTS ALL OVER OUR HEAD FROM THE STICK PINS...I DREADED IT.
    DADDY INSISTED WE HAVE CURLS AND NOT HAVE LONG STRINGY HAIR LOOKING LIKE WE CAME FROM AN ORPHANAGE...SO WE HAD STIFF PINK DIPPITY DO CURLS THAT LOOKED LIKE WE PULLED A WIG OUT OF THE TRASH.....
    THANK YOU FOR THE LOVELY GRAPHIC.
    LOVE AND HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

  • Holly, the Old Western Gal

    ROFLMBBO...[rolling on floor laughing my big butt off] -- OH DEBBIE -- I had clean forgotten Dippity Doo -- oh geez -- your story is hilarious -- gosh I remember those pink plastic spears now, I mean hairpins, now...lol...

    I keep saying ROLLERS I guess I mean CURLERS, too...

    YES! Girdles and hot water bottles...typewriters that would about break your arm to use...WRINGER WASHERS...lol...

  • OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts

    Ya'll are all too crazy and wonderful about the oldies and moldies. How about Spoolies? The little round curlers that the top popped down to hold them in place. They looked like little flying saucers. I hadn't thought of Dippity Doo in years. Too funny

  • Julia

    The only thing I can think of is the rotary phone. Actually I miss them. I liked feeling the rotor roll back to the neutral position as I dialed. I would let my finger follow back then dial the next number. There was something comforting about the clicking sound of the actuator and the smooth handled headset. Those phones were substantial and permanent. Not like the junk they sell these days that are broke in one or two years.

    Yep. I miss those old phones. They were good old stuff.

  • ByLightOfMoon

    I love this graphic, she is so beautiful, along with the flowers! Just awesome! And now to the oldies, I remember trying to sleep in the curlers or rollers so I could comb it out before school but not comb all the curl out and loads of hair spray. I wore a flip where the bottom of my hair curled up. 1960's. Most of my young adult life I had long hair and braided it a lot, till I saw Barbra Streisand in " A Star is Born" in 1976. I had to have a perm then for the beautiful curls again. And not fuzz curls! That lasted awhile till I finally cut is myself just a few years ago and My DH and I still do. I love it short so it doesn't take long to dry and just hand curl and go! But, I am thinking of hearing about rag curlers, now that might just come back again soon as what goes around seems to be coming back again. Like your twist your finger curl with a rag and I wonder what held it , maybe a clip or something. I love old mags and maybe I will find out when I read them. I got a 1928 needlework one today with beautiful ladies of the day photos.

    It is nice to visit you ,and enjoy your memories. we could start a memory blog of older things like JuJu Bees candy at the movies, and Sugar Daddy's on a stick (carmel). I do have a couple of kerosene lamps but they are new for when our power goes out and it does when trees take the lines down, even though they are underground in our neighborhood.

    I remember in the 1980's when I wore nylon stockings to work looking for a garter belt for wearing stocking without pantyhose and they were impossible to find. It was so hot, I just wanted some relief when out for noon lunch break.

    I love our memories, playing jacks with metal X's, roller skates keys on a neck chain, and
    Nancy Drew books,Pollyanna, and cotton candy on a STICK !

    Hugs and Smiles,
    Cyndi

  • Doris Sturm

    What a lovely graphic. Reminds me of summertime as a child in Germany - very carefree and full of hope!

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...