Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Wednesday, August 18

Hey Teacher, Leaf Those Kids Alone

From a vintage postcard entitled "Autumn Leaves Are Falling," an altered version to fit on a website. The original version is also included for those into that scrapbookin' life. Click the lower one to enlarge.

I know ye get sick of my weather-wondering, dearies, but this year is just so strange. I'm uneasy. The morning glories should just be beginning to bloom, but they are already done. The cicadas are singing such mournful dirges that I want to weep -- and they should have been singing a month ago.

Will it be a severe winter? I think so.

By the by, as to my predictions, woke up with a start the other night and felt there was a large earthquake going on somewheres, so quickly grabbed the Blackberry and wrote my thought in the Memo Pad app. And had "proof" to show my husband when he asked the next morning if I had predicted the earthquake that had, indeed, happened during the night. But I'm also predicting a HUGE quake, like an 8.0, and the discovery of a new faultline system. I feel the huge quake may be in the Alaska area.



19 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • OldeAnniePrimitives

    So long as it's not HERE! Already lived through a pretty big one back in 2001! And today it FELT like a earthquake when a couple of military jets broke the sound barrier. Obama was in town and apparently someone flew into the "no fly" zone. So jets were ordered to scramble and we ended up with a couple of ground shaking "boom booms"! It took us three hours to drive down to Portland today. It took those jets MINUTES to fly from Portland to Seattle! Ahhh...fun!

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    Or here thank ya! I'm glad I don't dream about earthquakes and such, though I did dream my neighbors burned another fire last night! The cicadas have been singing here for months - for awhile there rather loud! We've had loads of rain here lately from that tropical storm. I have missed the frogs that used to come bug eating at my back door every evening. Haven't seen them and wondered if the heat got to them.

  • Jane

    It will be interesting to see what the winter will be like after such an incredibly hot summer. It has been an odd season - no one has had decent tomatoes this year, nor much of anything else. Usually, by now, you can't give tomatoes away!

    Jane

  • Anonymous

    Yes, the weather is so cool, just lovely here. But tomorrow the weather guy says back to extreme heat and humidity. Thanks for the pic. It's the first day of school for the kiddos...serenity! Smiles, Sally

  • Home and Heart

    Earthquakes are so sad! Thanks for the wonderful images!

  • Carmen S.

    UGH, we've had 3 bad winters in a row here, I'm ready for a nice *mild* one:( Those children a too cute, such a lovely reminder of the simple times:)Thanks for sharing and hope you enjoy the day:)

  • Anvilcloud

    What constitutes a severe winter in your area?

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    I trust gut feelings, and, I trust your gut, especially.
    It has indeed been a very odd summer. For some reason, as we enter the second decade of the 2000's, I have been uneasy. Strange, isn't it?
    Nature shows us signs each day....
    Mon ami', take care.

  • Holly, the Old Western Gal

    Hi dearies!

    Hope I'm wrong about the quakes.

    Annie I lived on Whidbey in 2001 and the 6.1 earthquake made me totally nuts for months. PTSD.

    Mary I hope the oil spill did not somehow impact the poor froggies.

    Jane, the plants know something!!!

    Sally, hooray for that day beloved by grammies everwhere: First Day of School!

    H&H, earthquakes are indeed sad for those hurt in them. And the poor animals, too.

    Carmen, Indian lore says every 21st winter is a bad one, with each 7th winter leading up to it also bad. Mayhap this 4th one will not be bad?

    AC, I'm sure our "severe" winters would be laughed at in Canada. "Ha ha eh! They call that bad, eh???" I don't like it below 55 personally. AT 50 degrees we rush to the store to buy a sweatshirt to wear and a fake log to burn.

  • Anvilcloud

    Nicely explained. :)

  • Marjorie (Molly) Smith

    Holly I aree with you, I am extremely uneasy about the up coming winter. The signs are every where already that it is going to be a bad one. I said the samething last year and gave my reasons and was lol @ but was proven right as time went by.
    I pray we are wrong, but plan on being prepared to be right.
    Molly

  • Anonymous

    Love the graphic today..and Jane, we've had a literally ton of tomatoes this year...our garden did wonderfully...although the heat has gotten it now....still have some tomatoes to can though....and figs....
    its always always good to prepare for emergencies, whether bad weather or earthquakes.

  • Amrita

    Hi Holly, my goodness you are a real earthquake catcher. So sensitive way down in the south.


    I love your autumn pictures.
    We had a little rain today, so it not too bad.

  • Bernie

    I do hope we don't have a severe winter Holly, but as you say our summer was very weird. It seems weird all over the universe right now.
    Love the pictures today, and yes I can feel the Fall in the air the past couple of days....Hugs

  • OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts

    I totally agree about the harsh winter to come. Everything here is either too slow growing or finished early...???????????? The kids planted pumpkins and we should have them ready already but we have one wee one about the size of an orange. Poor little punkin critter.
    I'm so glad you took the award thingie the way it was intended donkey fren...loverly strange.
    The Olde Bagg

  • Debra

    Nice graphic today! I hope we don't have a bad winter here! and no earthquakes thank you!!

  • Ms Sparrow

    I love the little girls catching autumn leaves. I wonder if they're Amish?

    I'm uneasy too about the umcoming winter. Things are so unsettled on a global basis. I think Mother Nature may be turning on us for all our sins!

  • Doris Sturm

    Wow, how scary 8.0 - but I would not be surprised, why, with all the weird stuff we're doing to this earth, it's amazing she didn't sneeze us all off the globe like a bad virus!

    I'm ready for a bad winter because I'd rather have a bad winter than a bad summer and so far it's been bad!

  • Buttercup

    Hottest summer in ten years here...hope it's not the coldest winter. Today was pretty comfortable and we are entering one of my favorite times. Starting to dream about the leaves changing.

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...