Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Wednesday, August 11

A Harvest and the Harvest of a Job

Halloo dearies.

I just got offered a new job -- another merchandising/inventory job, but this one involves a giant territory and lots of driving. Combined with the Hallmark job, it will equal a fulltime job and then some. No benefits, of course. In these troubled times, I took what I could get. 

Now I am on the fence as whether or not to carry a gun in the car. My flail, of course, will go with me, but you have to be within flailin' range to knock someone on the head with a large wooden spoon. The spoon/spatula is HUGE. But it's just for close combat. I will be driving long, lonesome roads. I'm back to that argument with myself as to whether it's better to be shot than to shoot. I think I am safe in saying "What a crazy world."

Here we have a harvest depiction from long ago. Wish I could jump into these old images! But I might refuse to come back to the present day.

Right-click to save.


18 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    Me too - I long for simpler times most times.

    Gun? I vote a big YES. It is unfortunate but a law abiding person traveling alone needs one anymore - so long as you know how to manage one well that is.

    Yay for the new job. Well, except for the benefits thing. That sucks.

  • Allie

    Congratulations on the new job, and by all means carry a gun! Do you live in an open carry state? Cuz I would get the biggest, baddest gun and put it right in plain sight. It's too bad, but this is how it is now.
    Love the image, but I wouldn't want to live then - I love my air conditioner and novacaine.

  • Jane

    Congrats on the new job. I don't blame you for being somewhat anxious about traveling alone. Maybe a German shepherd dog is the answer over a gun??

    Jane

  • strawberrycream39

    Congratulations on the new job Holly! Do whatever you need to to feel safe. Beautiful picture!

  • Country Whispers

    So glad that you found that job. Now a days you have to take what you can get since the pickins' are slim.
    Travel safely and wish you luck in your new job.

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Going back in time sounds extremely tempting! It's the normal thing to do in TX, to be packin', isn't it? My vote would be to do what's comfortable for you, and what would ease your mind as you travel. Sounds like you'll be gone long hours. Will you make it home each night? How are your tires? Make sure you have everything in perfect/safe order before you venture out, okay? Good luck, and stay safe.

  • Anvilcloud

    As much as I love y'all, and I do, it's dilemmas like that that make me content to be way up here.

  • Carmen S.

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! I'm SO happy for you sweet friend!!!! Don't carry a gun sweetie....get ya a big ole' can of wasp & hornet spray and keep that, it shoots far and supposedly temporarily will blind the offender long enough for you to get away;)I keep a can under my bed at all times:D

  • Debra

    Congrats on the new job! You are going to do Hallmark too?!
    If you think you need a gun then do it. The wasp sparya sounds like a good idea too!
    I love the graphic! I too wish I could go back in time- not so crazy back then!!

  • Anonymous

    I vote yes on the gun. Congrats on the new job. You're gonna be one busy donkey. Smiles, Sally

  • Faith

    Congratulations Miss Holly.....wonderful news...you know I am like you...looking for simpler less anxius times...love the picture of the scenic farm. I like the wasp spray idea also, however you must not be spraying into the wind...have you had firearm training? Wouldn't hurt to bean armed and perhaps dangerous lil donkey fren....:)

  • AkasaWolfSong

    A big congrats Holly! Prayers are being answered. :)
    As for the gun I don't like to think of you packin'. The Wasp Spray sounds much safer.
    Just be safe and be aware and keep your car in good running order and you'll be fine, I'm sure.

    I too long for a simpler way of life Holly...

    Many Blessings!!!!

  • Amrita

    Hi Holly, congratulations for you r new job. Are you r venturing into dangerous territory. Take care my dear, carry a pepper spray or loud alarm. Its lots worse in India. I feel vfery vulnerable as a single woman.

  • MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~

    Wasp spray sends a jet 20 feet off and hair spray also works well! So does spray paint and that can serve to identify any bad person at the police station. Get a big doggie to travel with you and you will not be lonely...I would keep a cell phnoe at the handy too. Do you have a CB radio to stay in touch with help?
    Oh how I wish you could stay in your beautiful graphics Holly...could I join you?
    Love Miss Peach

  • Doris Sturm

    I want to say congratulations on your new job, but it sounds like it may not be something to be congratulated for if you have to worry whether or not to arm yourself. I hope you have a reliable vehicle, cellphone and roadside service on stand-by for all that driving. I would definitely bring pepper spray or mace or even that hornet spray...it has a long range and can really do some damage. I don't now how far away you live from a city, but a cb radio might be a good thing to have too. I hope the job pays at least enough to cover your gasoline and then some...I will pray for you!

    Love,
    Doris and Gizzy :-)

  • The Joy of Nesting

    OWG, Rosey here,

    Congratulations on the increase in household income!! In the words of the Buddha Dharma- Karma begets Karma

    I'll be sending you a lovely pair of rose colored glasses of your very own, use them wisely and stay safe ya hear!!

    Pattie ;)
    Mazatlan Mx.

  • Donna

    Congratulations on getting another one! One has to do what one has to do. As far as protection is concerned, how about getting a stun gun? That is always a good alternative and there is no need for a carry permit.

  • Buttercup

    Congratulations...it is a tough world where we can go so quickly from congratulations to what defense we need to carry. I keep a can of office desk cleaner on my desk at all times. I worry about working late by myself and have done this for five years. I thought of the wasp spray, too! Take care and be safe.

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...