Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Monday, August 23

Almost Cider Time

Actually, dearies, I think it IS cider time, in some locales! I love it any time of year -- but when that chill is in the air and leaves are turning and crows are cawing, that's when it's just extra-delightful to sit with a mug of hot cider!

I make a "Wassail" out of apple cider with a can of jellied cranberries melted in it -- drink it with a clove stuck in yer mouth between cheek and gum, like yer chewing tobaccy -- it's awfully good...

A few years back I got the idea that chewing tobacco must be tasty -- snuck a piece of so-called black cherry and tried it -- four hours later I was still laying on the porch, sicker than a dog. Husband just would come out and look and shake his head. A couple of times he threw some water on me and once I'm pretty sure I heard a laugh but it didn't much help. Sometimes I think I ain't quite right.

Here's a kitty, from an old napkin someone was smart enough to save back in the 50's.


19 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    Oh love the kitty - that's precious!! I got my first pumpkins on a magazine in the mail this weekend. Seems so far away yet for here.

    I can't believe you tried chewing tobacco!!! Hubby and I were just talking about it this weekend when they had somebody on tv talking about being addicted to it. Like, um, EWWWW! Never!

    You know you are so sweet for promoting things on your blog your friends are selling up there in your sidebar. That's very admirable and shows the content of your character. I couldn't get a soul who reads my foodie blog regular to take me up on promoting the Rotel recipe contest when I was judging it & there was a $1000 grand prize one of their readers could have won! It was a bonus entry for a case of Rotel & a pretty serving bowl giveaway I did to promote the contest, and I was only asking that they send people to the Rotel site, not my blog. They all entered the main entry, but didn't take up any bonus entries to promote the contest. Kinda hurt my feelings a bit. :( Anyway, I think that's sweet that you do that and for no reason but a good heart.

  • Jane

    Wonderful cat napkin! Wouldn't you love to have a stash of those around the house somewhere?

    Jane

  • Terry in Indiana

    We just made 8 gallons of cider yesterday! Definitely the taste of fall...yummy!!!

  • Carmen S.

    LOL, oh my you are silly, chewing tobacco is higher in nicotine than cigarettes, no wonder you were a sick lil' western gal:( better stick with yer trusted and true cloves sweetie:D Love the kitty and LOVE that fall is coming!!!!!!!

  • Faith

    You betcha this was the '50's....10 cents...I always thought I might like to try a pipe..never did of course..don't smoke at all, but the aroma of a pipe is lovely and so very distinquished....I always liked the smell of pipe tobacco in the foil pouch...Chewing it...quite a different story....tis a lovely cloudy day with a wee bit of rain..:)

  • ★Carol★

    That cute kitty graphic is definitely going on my bloggie. Thanks fren!
    My Dad chewed tobacco, and he had this one kind that smelled like wintergreen. I decided that if it smelled good, it would surely taste good too. I was sicker than a dog for hours. All I wanted to do was go crawl off into the woods and curl up in a fetal ball. How do people chew that stuff???

  • Anonymous

    That kittie is real cute...but the idea of you chewing tobacco cracked me up this morning! My grandpa chewed tobacco and spit. I was grossed out and never thought to try it. Your "wassail" sounds good though. It is so cool here to start the morn and I am happy. Prob won't last too long. Have a great week. Smiles, Sally

  • AkasaWolfSong

    Visions of black kitty napkins, cider and apples, pumpkins and witches are dancin' in my head Holly! What an adorable graphic...and hey!
    Leave the chewin' backy alone Dear Girl!

    I laughed so hard my backbone cracked!

    Have an outstanding week Ladybug!

    P.S. I got your beeeeaaauuuuutiful necklace in the mail! Wooo Hooo! It is simply AWESOME and I thank you millions!

    Love You Girl! I really mean that too!
    xoxoxoxo

  • Debra

    The wassail sure sounds good!
    Oh my you had a pinch of chew- how awful for you!
    I love the graphic today!

  • Beansieleigh

    Your wassail recipe sounds very good! Love your black kitty stirring up a batch of his own brew!! ~tina

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Love the 50's look of cider cat.
    At 18, we would ride around in my yellow VW bug, licking Swisher Sweet cigars, coated in cherry. Smoking them made us hurl, but the smoky scent smelled wonderful.
    I can just imagine you....curled up on your porch...wacky with tobaccky!

  • Amrita

    I like apple cider, which I could get in the hills where I lived years ago, but its not available here on the plains. Maybe it is, I never checked.

    What you said about the pew made me smile and its true actually in my case. Ha-ha!

  • Doris Sturm

    Awww...cute black kitty - makes me miss Middi :-(

    That cider recipe of yours sounded good till you mentioned the glove wedged between your gums and cheek, that would make me numb like I just got back from the dentist - LOL.

    BUT, reading your post made me have some hot cider, but I cheated, it's from a package, but still...not bad! I love autumn too and the sound of crows always reminds me of fall - the messengers of Christmas ;-)

    Happy day!
    Oh, BTW, that Obama picture was digitally reversed and I removed the blog. That'll learn me to pass on stuff I didn't check out. I'm the one with egg on my face now (hangs her head and crawls off with tail between her legs)

  • Doris Sturm

    p.s. clove, not glove....sorry! (I'm just full of oooopses today!)

  • Cindy

    Holly I had such a laugh at your story today, when you said you thought somedays you might not be right...I give you credit for being brave enough to try it....four hours on the porch. ouch. take care, always glad to stop by. Have a great week.

  • Bernie

    Still laughing over your chewing tobacco episode, oh Holly how could you even try. (love that you at least brave enough too)
    I have never had cider, I think I might try it sometime........:-) Hugs

  • Baggaraggs:

    Holly, Cider! I have a half gallon of the stuff in my fridge. WE IS on the same page, so to Speak. Not cool enough to consume hot. NOT YET. I am still Having it cold. Hugs to ya, Donkey Fren Robin

  • The Joy of Nesting

    OWG< Rosey here,

    hmmmmmmm I'ma thinking that it's a good thing you didn't try taking a puff off of a cigar if a chew laid you low for 4 hours!!! I've been told both are an aquired taste. But I'm thinking that if tobacco water is used to kill aphids on roses what is it doing to a human body...just a thought.

    Have a safe week!
    Pattie ;)
    Mazatlan Mx.

  • Mad Men Girl

    Hey, I tried my grandmother's snuff once, so I can totally relate!

    P.S.

    I've entered a contest to win a walk-on role on that retro-licious TV show, "Mad Men".

    If you wouldn't mind taking a couple of seconds to vote for me, go to my blog, or copy and paste the following link which goes right to my picture:

    http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/EZ3MBH

    Thanks a bunch!

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...