Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Monday, March 22

Sea Premonitions, and A Mighty Chick

Banner Haus News and Musings

I spent yesterday washing and putting away winter things, and freshening warm-weather clothes and linens.

Spring weather is so unsettled. Autumn is much more sedate, with slow changes that trundle along like a fat pumpkin. Spring is all exploding flowers and pillowcases that whip so strongly on the clothesline that the hems fray.

I have a premonition that sea creatures are going to be seen acting very oddly soon. I keep thinking of octopuses acting up, too. Of course, I often think of octopuses, so who knows what this means. At the Chinese buffet, on Friday and Saturday nights, they have a dish of tiny octopuses. One always goes onto my plate, and my husband knows I will sneak it home and bury it. I think they are very intelligent animals, with deep feelings.

Quote

A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue.
    ~Russian Proverb

Free Vintage Graphic

This will go to an actual postcard size if you regular-click it. Or save this smaller version. 
You can save these and alter them yerselves, you know, using Photobucket.com or other free graphics program that has an online interface. It's fun to play with them and make yr own e-cards and such. 





22 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Bernie

    I love how you will take an octopus home and bury it......it shows how much you respect all living things........:-) Hugs

  • Cynthia K.

    Hi ~ This is such a beautiful Easter postcard - gorgeous colors - appreciate it. I'm really finding the chicks so appealing...

    Cynthia K. (Beauty and Blessings)

  • Carmen S.

    Hmmm...I'm trying to picture how one would "sneak" home a dish of tiny ocopuses, LOL!!!

  • Debra

    I love that little chick graphic!!

  • ★Carol★

    I always steer clear of those little octopuses at the China Buffet, because it is just wrong to see them there. They are little creatures. But I don't feel that way about the shrimp, and always pile my plate high with them!
    Happy Monday!
    Carol

  • sjhackney

    That little chick is working so hard! Thanks for the pretty Easter pic. And I'm with Carol, no octupus for me but I love shrimp! Smile, Sally

  • Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage

    'Morning Holly,
    A dish of octopi would not entice me in the least! But I do love your little chick graphic today. Thank you and have a splendid day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

  • ClassyChassy

    Darling chickie - it will be time to order some soon!!!

  • Simply Debbie

    DEAR HOLLY,
    I HAVE NEVER BEEN INSIDE A CHINESE RESTURANT.,,SO I HAVE NOT SEEN AN OCTOPUS...I'M NOT AS KIND AS YOU TO THINK ABOUT BURYING IT.
    YOUR POST CARD IS PRECIOUS. THAT CHICKEN SURE IS WORKING HARD....LIKE YOU WORK.
    LOVE TO YOU ALL,
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

  • Nancy at the Farm

    Hi Holly,

    I have meant to comment for al ong time. I stop by daily to see your notes and grab your graphics for my cards. I just really wanted to give you a big "THANK YOU!" for your generosity with your graphics and notes. I really appreciate your time and efforts. My budget is so tight these days that your graphics make it possible for me to continue my homemade cards without any expense to speak of. Thank you from the bottom of our little hearts,

    Love, Dozer, Dottie and Cooper

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    That is a terrific wind there in TX, if it can rip the hems out of pillowcases. I love how you word things...it's always so visual.
    A kindness done, does not go unnoticed...even in death, somehow, the octopi world knows.
    Love today's chickie pic!

  • Julia

    Indeed Octopus are super intelligent. Several species actually end their lives taking care of their eggs. They don't eat for six months while guarding their eggs and when the babies swim away the mom dies beneath them. That's some kind of devotion.

  • Knitty

    If you lived in Hockeytown (Detroit), you would know of the tradition of throwing an octopus onto the ice. It isn't encouraged and happens less frequently now (thank goodness!). Here is cut and paste from 'Yahoo answers' to explain:

    A search on "octopus red wings" directed us to The History of the Octopus on the "Original" Unofficial Red Wing Home Page. According to the site, the first octopus was tossed on the ice on April 15, 1952, during the Red Wings' Stanley Cup playoff run. Devoted fans of the team, Pete and Jerry Cusimano, two fishmonger brothers, tossed a mollusk onto the ice during the game at Olympia Stadium that fateful night.

    Back then, the NHL consisted of six teams, and a team only needed eight wins (two best-of-seven playoff series) to win the Stanley Cup. Each tentacle of the octopus symbolized one playoff victory. The Wings won the Cup that year, and since then, octopi have made periodic appearances on the Detroit ice.

    Meanwhile, back in Knitty-land, I am looking for motivation and discovered I am supposed to keep my 'donkey' out of the refrigerator! http://lazydayandsundays.blogspot.com/2010/03/balance-inspiration-and-motivation.html

  • Ms Sparrow

    I have never seen little octopuses at Chinese buffets, but it would bother me too. It really bothers me to see live lobsters at the grocery store or in the tank at Red Lobster. Such in-your-face cruelty is dispicable!

  • Holly, the Old Western Gal

    Carmen dearie, I just sneak ONE octopus out...the littlest one I can spoon out...

    Halloo donkey frens...Bernie and Cynthia and Debra, oh my! Sally and Sandi and Classy, oh hai! Debbie and Dottie and CDM too...a happy spring hello to you!

    (No, haven't been drinking...just high on SPRING!)

    Fer some reason, it seems fair to eat shrimp, the gals are right!!!

    Julia make sure yer parenting style does not resemble the octopus's...you wear yerself out with those kiddos..

    Knitty, I guess I see my future fate, a visit to Detroit to try mouth-to-beak resusitation on a cold octopus..great...

  • Amrita

    I am not fond of saefoos at all so I wouldn 't touch an octopus.
    But a while back I bought chicken meat - when I was growing up I refused to eat any kind of poultry or fish because I felt so bad for them. I started eating chicken only in College.And fish very recently

  • Karen Beth

    I love your blog and insight to things. Thank you for sharing.

  • Doris Sturm

    Yes, I know about the octopus being intelligent, but I thought the little ones were squids - even so, it made me almost cry to read about your burying the poor thing! How sad that all creatures must die because of man...eating, hunting, eating, uproating, hunting, eating, pollution, extinction, eating... so sad!

    Now that I've bummed myself out, I will look at that cute chick graphic again, but alas! the poor little thing is working really hard to barely pull that Ostrich egg (he, he, he)

  • Pam

    This is my first time here; I came over from Corgi dog news. Love your blog, especially since you sneak those octopuses home for a funeral. I know spring is here but, we had 2" of snow Saturday for my son's wedding. It must be warm and sunny somewhere...

  • xashee's corner

    you are an AMAZING woman! but i already knew that! hehe HUGS! HOPPY SPRING!

  • Anonymous

    I know what you mean..couldn't eat octopi either and I'm allergic to shellfish so no shrimp....in fact, I can't even be in most Chinese and Thai restaurants as they cook with oyster sauce which makes me go sick......at least its an allergy fairly easy to avoid..not like peanuts!

  • Dawn

    What a thoughtful soul you are Holly, I've never known anyone who would sneak someting out of restuarant to give it a proper burial.

    A few years ago when they had the giant squid in Santa Cruz, CA my cousin was so impressed she had it tatooed on her leg...her whole leg, from her hip to her ankle.

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...