Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Thursday, March 11

Pretty Chickens and A Pickle Recipe

Banner Haus News and Musings

 The wild West Texas wind got my jonquils this year. Only a few had bloomed before the rain and then the bad winds. It just tattered the blooms into pieces. But my flags (some call them irises) might get a chance to bloom this year if both cold snaps and wind will kindly stay away.

I'm on a pickle diet. I eat pickles a lot, when actually I'd rather be delving into the bags of cheap Easter candy. I used to eat tons of sour pickles and I was skinny as a rail. With my disposition sour pickles are a must.

Old-Time Recipe

Don't throw out pickle juice. Put tender spears of asparagas in it (donkey frens, REMOVE the asparagus from the can, drain, then place in a glass container and pour the pickle juice over it) and let it pickle for a few days in the refrigerator. Then take out, drain, and roll up the asparagus in thin slices of ham or turkey that's been spread with cream cheese. If yr a vegetarian try it rolled up with really thin slices of baby Swiss cheese and the cream cheese.

Free Vintage Postcard Image
Here's a fine fowl family. Right-click to save the size shown here. Regular-click to load a bigger image first, then save.


17 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Debra

    I just love the chickens! Can't get enough of them!!
    Thanks for the plug!!

  • Carmen S.

    Hmmm....pickle diet, I may have to try that, all I want to eat lately are cakes, chocolate, cookies and anything else that's NOT healthy!!!

  • Donna

    I love pickles too! Just now the sweet ones.

  • Marjorie (Molly) Smith

    I've never met a pickle I didn't like. I will have to give this recipe a try. We have made the roll ups before but never with pickled asparagus.
    You don't know how good it did my heart to hear you say Flags, that is all I've ever called them, but in the last 20 yrs all I get are blank stares when I call them that. Must be an old Soutern thing.
    Thanks for your sweet comments on Levi's blog. My next door neighbor is a Vet and he is helping us look for him. Folks in this area wouldn't think of taking a stray dog to the vet, they just call the animal control, which is a joke, but most will just shot them, not us of course, but a lot of the farmers around here have cows that are dropping calves right now. I hope they have enough sense to see Levi has a collar on. Around this area, we have so many coonass's who have deer camps up here and they bring dogs to hunt with, after hunting season, to keep from feeding them all year they just leave them and they now run wide. I'm afraid he might have run into a pack of them and maybe tried to protect Katie and got hurt. She came home last week just ate up by something and couldn't walk for a week. Ryan (our neighbor vet) gave her a shot and cleaned her up and said it looked like a coyote or big dog. Levi had a cut on his nose, so we figured he saved her. I just hope he shows up in the next day or 2. He's such a big baby and loves everyone, he isn't afraid of people so he will try to run up to them to play.
    Molly

  • Marjorie (Molly) Smith

    PS, DH is in the dog house himself right now, I told him to pen Katie up, but he said she would be alright he'd do it later. If she had been in her pen, my Levi would never have gone off, he always follows her and she can't keep her little Beagle butt at home. Oh of course she's in her pen now. Sorry just had to vent to someone.
    Molly

  • Angela

    What a cute chicken family! Perfect for Easter!

    Have a Great Day!
    Angela

  • Amrita

    Oh I wish you a gentle nourishing wind Holly,one that does not damage your pretty flowers.
    Our Indian pickles are very different from yours. Ours are hot, spicy and oil based. We enjoy them with gridle bread, rice dal etc...just about anything.
    I ;ve had cucumber and dil pickly Western style and found it good.

    The chicken have me saying cluck---cluck.

  • Anvilcloud

    Sorry about your flowers, but not too much since we are still waiting for some more of the snow to go. Then, we'll eventually see our crocuses.

  • sjhackney

    Thanks for the chick pic. I miss seein' them scatch around the yard. Sally

  • Stitchesnstrokes

    We are pickle pusses around here too, I make at least 100 lb. of them every year (I make them for the kids too..will they ever want to learn to do them for themselves?) Love the chickens, Holly. Will use that one when I add a little more Easter to my blog. Thanks so much :)

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Y'know, the wind is what I remember most about my one trip to Texas. We went to San Antonio, delivered a motorhome to a dealer there, and came straight back home. The wind was awful~
    Classy Chassy is lovin' these hens and chicks you've been posting. Many of us love chickens, wonder why that is? What would Freud make of that....?
    Love your pickle text. Bread and Butter are my faves...tart/sweet...ahem, just like me!
    Rain an gloom here today...hope all is well.
    As long as you have bubble bath and candles, you'll be a-ok!

  • Gwen

    You done gone and made yer donkey fren hungry!

  • strawberrycream39

    I loooove pickles. My grandfather and father used to make their own....they were soo delicious! I like your asparagus idea. May have to try that.

    My hubby is in Houston right now on business....anywhere near you? If you see him tell him I said hi! :-)

  • Holly, the Old Western Gal

    Halloo Jen...yer hubby is 500+ miles away from me if he's in Houston...he's on the "wrong" end of Texas...hee hee...

  • Rosemary

    I love dill pickles!!
    I guess I'm sour too!
    Rosemary

  • Simply Debbie

    HELLO, LITTLE WESTERN GAL,
    THANK YOU FOR FOR THE GRAPHIC OF THE BEAUTIFUL CHICKEN FAMILY.
    THE PICKLE RECIPE SOUNDS WONDERFUL. WE WILL TRY THAT ONE.
    TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF
    LOVE AND HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

  • strawberrycream39

    Gosh Texas is a big state! :-)

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...