Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Monday, March 15

Pretty Bunnies But A Homely City

Banner Haus News and Musings

This is just the most troublesome post, and it was supposed to be one that could be uploaded quick as a wink, as I was in Lubbock yesterday and didn't have much time to prepare it to load automatically.

M'dears, that's something I often do, but many don't know you can do this. You can prepare many posts in advance, and choose exactly when they will post. Look on yer composing pane, to the lower LEFT, above the "PUBLISH POST" button. It should say, "Post Options." Click it and ye can choose things like when it will publish, and if ye will allow comments, etc. VERY handy.

Lubbock is actually much uglier than Midland. Now, I don't mean the flat, sun-baked desert. That looks okay to me. It's the housing. It's awful, terrible, falling down, wretched, unkempt, and generally just nutty. There were literally multi-million dollar professor's homes next to torn-up hovels with yards full of garbage. Tens of thousands of deteriorating clapboard houses!

Yes, the poor must live somewhere. I myself can be considered poorish. But I don't have a Hummer and Harley parked outside and a filthy garbage-strewn yard and cardboard stuck in my windows! Too late for Lubbock, but I think strict zoning may indeed have a place within cities.

Vintage Easter Postcard

Two bunnies appear to be cracking up. I believe these are rare hypnotizing bunnies. I think they should go up to Lubbock and hypnotize the people to clean up their homes.

Right-click to save.


18 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    I actually saw this graphic/post show up in my reader a day or so ago, but the link was dead. I am far too unorganized and anal to schedule posts to schedule posts to automatically appear without my being here to make sure they have no errors. (Do I hear control freak???)

    Lubbock sounds a bit like New Orleans then doesn't it? Don't make one wrong turn over there from a ritzy neighborhood or no telling what kind of trouble you may find yourself in.

    Don't fret too much over your financial status. I think according to our government's new definition of poor, many of us are poor now. But I am rich in many other things that you can't put a price on!

    Hope you have a great week.

  • Amrita

    Oh Holly this is funny, but let me say that I belong to Lubbock.

    You are very rich in heart Holly and you spread your frens are enriched by you.

    I luv your bunnies. Remind me of Watership Downb. I must read that book again.

    You must do a Watership Down cover.

  • Amrita

    Oh by the way a March Hare graphic would also be great.....you know Alice in the Wonderland won a statue I heard.

  • A Bit of the Blarney

    Rich is as rich does. Many people who have wealth are the most "poor" among us. In many ways I have reason to be grateful for my lack of financial wealth, for I am rich in so many other ways! Thank you for this post!! The Easter bunnies are darling! Cathy

  • Carmen S.

    Lubbock sounds depressing:( We can't afford Hummers & Harleys but at least don't have any cardboard in the windows so I guess thats a good thing? LOL! Love the hypnotizing bunnies!!!

  • SparkleFarkel

    "You can prepare many posts in advance, and choose exactly when they will post."

    Holy donkeys-who-blog, my prayers have been answered--> Donkey Schoen!)

  • sjhackney

    Holly, those bunnies are watching me, hehe! Have a great week. Sally

  • Cherie

    Yikes ... life got in me way Dearheart but have found you and adore your new venture - you're a generous clever gal ;)

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Those eyes...those crazed, staring eyes...heebie jeebies! Other than that, totally cute, he hee!
    Well, guess that Lubbock is being scratched off the list, right? It would be depressing to live in an area that is so ugly...beauty restores the soul, and gets us through many down times. That would be hard to do there, I'm thinkin'.

  • OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts

    I used to travel to Lubbock for business. Took my hubby with me one time and he said he thought that Lubbock must be an old Native Amercian word for fugly. See he and you are of the same opinion. Poor Lubbock, not everyone there is fugly but you sure are right about the housing....craziness. Bunnies are great, thanks.

  • Ms Sparrow

    Those crazy bunnies and trying to tell us something--maybe we're being drawn to Lubbock for Easter! (shudder)

  • Holly, the Old Western Gal

    Hi dearies! Lubbock has SO MUCH to offer -- big ol' university, jobs, sunshine, reasonable prices, good roads, doctors and vets. It's still on the list. But it shore is homely.

    I don't like shiftless people. These are able-bodied. They don't have to throw trash in their yards. They don't have to bust out windows and leave them unfixed. They need a HORSEWHIPPIN'.

  • ★Carol★

    You would think that Lubbock has codes to cover that sort of thing, and that they need to be enforced. Our town has code enforcement officers, and they are strict. No garbage in the yard, no garbage cans stored at the front of the house, you MUST have your address prominently displayed on your house, you have to keep up on lawn mowing, etc. But then I live in a town of only about 30,000 people. I'm a firm believer in having codes and having them strictly enforced. Otherwise you end up like Lubbock. I can understand being poor, but you can still keep a clean yard and home.
    I thank you for letting me rant on this subject, and Good Day to you!

  • Holly, the Old Western Gal

    Carol, that is my point exactly. I hate people getting in my BIDNESS, as they say out here, with lots of rules, but fer cryin' out loud, they ought not throw garbage in the yard, since every durned house has a big ol' dumpster in the back alley within 2 steps. Where is their PRIDE?

  • Bernie

    I have to say that I am blessed in so many ways other than money and I am okay with it, in fact I wouldn't want a lot of money if it would change my life.....life is good as it is.
    Thank you Holly for the tip on postings, I am going to check this out when I'm done commenting. Love the bunnies.......:-) Hugs

  • Debra

    I was in Lubbock many moons ago- don't remeber what it was like now. Sad it is so run down!
    I love the bunnies!!

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Well, if you could find a terrific job, that would give you a spring to your step, and money in your pocket, then by all means move to Lubbock. You can create beauty anywhere...and flail/horsewhip those messy fools into shape!

  • Buttercup

    I've believed that just about any place can be interesting and if you move to Lubbock that's a good reason for this little donkey to put Lubbock on my to-visit list. Take good care!

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...