Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Monday, May 24

Victory Gardens

Banner Haus News and Musings

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times."

WWII was so terrible, and yet those I have spoken with who lived through the Depression and the war said those were actually the happier days of their lives, hard as they were. Things mattered, they said. Little things, things within most people's reach. Thriftiness, making do. Growing some foods in a garden. Now, a person is likely to be sued by a neighbor who might not like the sight of corn tassels in yer yard. Strange times.

Meant to put up a post about using picnik.com, but lightning put the quietus on that for now. Got to just slap up something I have ready.

Free Vintage War World II Image!

Here is a Victory Garden poster. Click it to make it larger. Not only did my mother's folks have a Victory Garden, but they, like most of their city neighbors, had a lil' milk cow and some chickens. Many had milk goats, too. 



16 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    I'd like to sue my neighbors, but it ain't got nothing to do with corn tassels I tell ya!

    I love the Victory Garden vintage images - though I'm not sure I can claim victory with mine LOL... but I try. I'm totally stealing that one.

  • Amrita

    My garden is also like Victory garden..sowing to eat and share. Its good this way.

    My mother says she had goat 's milk as a child

  • AkasaWolfSong

    I'm thinking before all is said and done we will all be going back to a Victory garden and much simpler way of life. Great Graphic!!!!

  • Knitty

    I'm all for a simpler life too, as long as I can still have the internet. ;D

  • Faith

    Times were more simple, and people were different then. How lovely. It is nice to sit and contemplate how it must have been, although difficult. There were families to lean on..and jobs..and simple abundance.

  • Anvilcloud

    I'd like to grow veggies someday but it won't be this year. There's just too much other garden stuff to attend to.

  • Debra

    You are so right! Hard times yes but at least people cared about each other more and cared about the simpler more important things in life.
    Great graphic!

  • OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts

    Uh oh....I'm gonna be the downer here, it's a rough job but somebody's gotta rain on the parade. I think we have romantizied the "olden" times by thinking that the world was a better place. Lots of hardship, death, improper behaviors were the norm and a given in a male based societal structure.
    I know that I would like there to be "good times" like my elders talked about but I listened betweeen the lines too and it wasn't all pretty cabbages and homemade bread.
    Like you darling girl, I have prediction of the future as well. We will have to simplify in order to survive, it will be hard and someday someone will think it was heroic and wonderful and talk about it (I hope). Just me thinking out loud.

  • Anonymous

    Our kids and grands planted some tomatoes, peppers and watermelon in a patch they tilled out back. Can't wait to see how the little ones take care of it. I'm trying one of those hanging tomato baskets the kids got me for Mother's Day. Thanks for the victory garden pic. We're in the 90's today agian. Kinda hot for us in May. Take care...smile, Sally

  • ★Carol★

    Don't some people call that the Great War? It was definitely a different time, when everyone pulled together to help our country to victory. Nowadays, this country is so divided. In the words of the great JFK, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!

  • Baggaraggs:

    Hey Holly,
    Thanks for the image. Hope you are doing ok. Hope the flood is gone. Have a good day. Hugs, Robin

  • Doris Sturm

    We need a similar poster again to encourage people to sew and grow their own veggies to rid our planet from GMOs and pesticides...

    Have a nice day, m'lady, and keep yer cool ;-)

  • Buttercup

    Great poster. Sending good wishes across the miles.

  • Angela

    We planted our garden 2 weeks ago. Not sure if we can claim Victory over it yet as all of the rains we have been having is beating it down some. Hopefully it will dry out and recover!

    Hugs,
    Angela

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Planting a garden is like a science experiment. You reap and eat the rewards, and watching things grow is such fun. Phooey on bug killers, pesticides. Love eating a veggie warmed by the sun, surrounded by bug chasers, marigolds.
    I've always gravitated to the 40's for some reason. People worked toward a common goal...now, we tend to live more in our own bubble, thinking, hey....I don't need to do that, somebody else will!
    Sigh.
    Home again, via Chapel HIll to Baltimore, then Indy. Last nights flight canceled. Horrors!

  • SueLovesCherries

    Getting caught up on my blogs - been in the garden alot! I could live out there if allowed!

    Great poster - what's up with her head "thingy"? The people from that era have been called The Greatest Generation, by Tom Brokaw I believe, because of their values, morals, and work ethics. That's what we need now-a-days!

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...