Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Monday, May 3

Friends Flutter By

Banner Haus News and Musings

That "lost" friend of mine -- I'm wondering why I didn't think of better ways to try to find her. She was the controller of a vast fortune, thanks to her second marriage to a gentleman who was the sole heir to a very famous -- at that time -- company that made things like power tools, saws, logging equipment, culinary equipment, etc.

I met her when my boss at the university told me to help her with a newsletter project. She had returned to college at 64, seeking a journalism degree of some sort, and as a tremendous donor to the place, they gave her a lil' bit extra attention. She had accidentally cropped a photo wrong, and was in tears because the newsletter was going to be her final project. The woman had no guile. I showed her how to position the chopped pic so that it would look like the PRINTER'S fault, and told her to curse convincingly when showing it to her professor. I had no idea of her wealth at that time. I liked her, and we hit it off, and one day she asked me and my husband of the time over for dinner. We drove up to her house, and I was stunned to find she lived in what can only be termed a mansion. 

At dinner, I was slipping treats to her ol' dumb labrador whenever she went into the kitchen, and danged if the dog didn't "tell on me" by chewing loudly and whining for more. She came back in and warned me about my mischief. Then I had a bit of trouble with a brussel sprout, which went flying off my plate when I tried to slice it in half. She calmly told me to pick up my plate and go eat in the kitchen, since I didn't have sense enough to be at the grown-up's table. I meekly went and let me tell you, I watched my P's and Q's better in the future.

Free Vintage Images

Victorian butterflies to brighten a page or card. The butterfly is HUGE -- click to get the giant version. Right-click to save either size.




23 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Dawn

    Oh my gosh, she banished you to the kitchen? For real? And you didn't dig through her drawers for a wooden spoon to....or wait, that was someone else with the spoon fetish. Wonderful story.

    That butterfly is absolutely amazing. Is there a type of butterfly really colored like that?

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    Oh my! I'm afraid there wouldn't have been a single timid or meek thing about me in that situation. Did I mention I can be sassy? :)

  • Carmen S.

    Those brussel sprouts are tricky, I like the lil' tiny ones with no cutting involved:) LOVE the butterflies!

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Your stories, and history are so darn colorful and interesting~sure hope that you're working on a book!
    Love your butterfly, those colors are incredible!
    You feeling better?
    You always make us feel good....

  • ★Carol★

    Is that when your sassyness started? I can't imagine you being banished from a room without delivering a wisecrack of some sort! Your friend sounds like she was a real character!

  • Mina Gouldsamadiner

    I love these ones!!!

  • Marjorie (Molly) Smith

    LOL, I can just see you meekly going to the kitchen....NOT....too bad she was so up tight..grin.
    Love your butterflies.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Molly

  • Anvilcloud

    That's a bit on a yarn eh? About having to eat in the kitchen.

  • Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage

    Enjoyed your story although your hostess should have been more understanding. Imagine, being banished to the kitchen like you were a bad girl!! You were her guest after all; I hope you're just pulling our leg! Wonderful butterflies! Hope you're having a good day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

  • Doris Sturm

    I'm sorry, I don't meant to be chuckling, but that burssel sprout incident strikes me as very funny. I can't believe she told you to sit in the kitchen with the kiddies...that was kind of rude! I know she was your friend, but was she so "fancy" that she had no sense of humor? I would have just ignored it if I were her.
    Those butterflies are so pretty! I saved them for maybe painting one later - yes, I'm still dreaming of painting a picture one day - again. I used to a long time ago, but I've not painted for a long time.
    Have a nice day, m'lady :-)

  • Debra

    Oh My! Banished to the kitchen like a child- I'll bet she felt guilty about that later!
    It's too bad you lost touch with her though.
    Beautiful butterfly!!

  • Holly, the Old Western Gal

    No, it's a true story. I ate alone in the kitchen with the dog, also banished. It wasn't my way -- guests could do anything at my humble abode (but wouldn't necessarily be invited back -- that's how I was taught) -- but she had the right to act as she saw fit at her house. I do need to add that I was so extremely young and goofy at that time that it would have tried the patience of a saint.

    The sun is finally out!!! Going to be a sunny day after all!

  • Anonymous

    Holly, you're cracking me up again. Eating in the kitchen...that's all I can do. I wouldn't know what to do if the peeps in my house WOULD BEHAVE ! Honestly, just as I read your blog, the sun broke out here too. See what power you have...teehee! Smiles, Sally
    p.s. Thanks for visiting my lowly blog!

  • Rosemary

    That is a funny story Holly.
    Who would do that? I think at that point I would have left.
    You have a great day!!
    Rosemary

  • Debra

    Oh Mercy! You made me laugh at the thought of a flying Brussel sprout! I think I woulda done it on purpose!
    Beautiful butterfly, and your earring photos are really nice-always tempting me, ehhh?!
    Love, Debra

  • Stitchesnstrokes

    Well lucky it wasn't a meatball!! LOL There's a song about that one! :) What an experience, the way I am I would have started to cry and left the house, never to be seen by her again! :) I absolutely LOVE the flutterby's! TY.

  • Ms Sparrow

    Well, I have only one thing to say about your erstwhile moneyed "friend"--she may have been rich but absolutely had no "class". Fie on her!

  • Knitty

    I think your story must have been the basis for the scene in Pretty Woman where the escargot gets away from Julia Roberts (slippery little suckers) :D

    Love the butterflies. They are signs that my mom is thinking of me. She must like you too to have made her way into your blog.

  • Angela

    I can't imagine! I would have been in tears and left.

    Beautiful butterflies!
    Thanks!
    Angela

  • Faith

    The dog....the dumb ol labrador....he was the lucky one...he got to have your company...the "friend" missed out on an opportunity...you mayhap be glad you have lost contact with the likes of that one.

    The flutterbyes are pretty..I love brussel sprouts...

  • Nydia

    Gods, Holly! It sounds like a crazy story from a movie! What a b...!

    :sigh:

    Kisses and love from us.

  • Simply Debbie

    DEAR HOLLY,
    THE BRUSSEL SPROUT IS FUNNY BECAUSE IT HAPPENED TO AMY AT A FANCY DINNER BUT SHE WASN'T BANISHED TO EAT ALONE IN THE KITCHEN...AND YOUR HUSBAND STAYED OUT THERE AND CONTINUED DINNER WITH THIS ANAL LADY......I KNOW IT SOUNDS FUNNY BUT IT HURTS ME THAT SHE TREATED YOU THAT WAY...I WANT TO GIVE HER A GOOD TALKING TO ABOUT HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE....JUST BECAUSE SHE WAS RICH IS NO EXCUSE....SHE PUTS HER CLOTHES ON THE SAME AS ANYBODY ELSE. I HAVE NO TOLERANCE FOR SNOTTY PEOPLE. BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLIES. THANK YOU
    LOVE AND HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

  • Amrita

    My word this is hillarious.Right out of a Jane Austen novel .

    I think she did it becasue she was old enough to be your grandmother.
    And your husband ate with the guests?

    I would have only banished the dog.

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...