Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Saturday, April 24

Snails and Vases


Banner Haus News and Musings

Guess I'll put the names in a hat and draw fer the Rose Water or Orange Flower Water tonight! Post the winner on the morrow...

Thank'ee all donkey frens who've played...

Now, someone was asking about the marshmallow microwave popcorn. It's by Jolly Time Popcorn. Remember them, way back and beyond? Of course ye don't, none of ye gals (and guys) are 450 years old, like I am. Danged if I wasn't at the store today and forgot to get more AGAIN.

Snails ate my Hubbard Squash that had sprouted. Saw three of the darlings just finishing off the last of the stem. The nerve! Of course, can't kill 'em, just had to move them over to the mint. Here, eat some of THAT. Have lovely fresh snail breath, pseudopodia frens.

Quote

I'm gittin' in a mood.

The quote today is from a horrid poem we had to recite in sixth grade. I despised the line about the poor snails, forever gittin' stuck. Later I found that this poem is really quite awful, but that didn't surprise me, seein' as how it was part of the curriculum in a wretched Louisiana school where I don't think I ever encountered a sober teacher. We even had to say a bad, bad word in one of the stanzas, but I'll spare ye, lil' frens.

"The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his Heaven -
All's right with the world!"
   ~ Robert Browning

Free Vintage Images

These are from a lovely postcard featuring a variety of vases. This is all the bigger they git, so just right-click to save any of 'em fer a sidebar decoration or somesuch.




15 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Julia

    Hi Super H!
    You'd be mule kicking me if you saw what I did to the snails eating my alyssum!!! I was wondering why this one pot was not blooming and LOW AND BEHOLD with my headlamp on I CAUGHT THOSE LITTLE BEASTIES in the ACT OF EATING ALL THE FLOWERS, LEAVES and STEMS!!!!

    Too bad I am not a real French person (my maiden name is quite French-like) cause I'd been having me some escargot!

    Now is that really what you want me to write about? Hee hee!!!! HAAA Bwahaaaaaa!

  • Julia

    And the headlamp was cause I only find them little plant devouring demons at night. I am not just some strange person who wears a head lamp all the time but that would be kind of funny in itself.

    Also in my defense I am a botanist and MUST protect the plants. :)

  • Amrita

    You are too good Holly. How could watch the critters chomp off your hubby' s squash and do nothing about it. Oh poor Mr.

    LOL

    The poems 's really nice.

    And of course the elelgant vases.Today I gave Sheebs (Dog) a nice cool shampoo. She doesn 't feel so hot after that.

  • Robin Ennis Willson

    Hello you beautiful Holly girl. How have you been? I've been out of touch for SO long it seems.
    We had to put my Dad in a nursing home just before Christmas, and my Mom had an operation on her carotid artery - plus has not taken the change with Dad very well. He has dimensia (sp?). Anyway, we're finally all doing better and I have a new (awful I hate it) job which at least pays good money. BUT...I hate having lost touch with so many good friends!!! Hope life has been treating you well, and that you got the job you wanted!!!
    Love your poem :)
    Hugs!
    Robin

  • Debra

    Naughty snails!! I will send you some squash if mine does well!
    Lovely graphics as usual!!

  • sjhackney

    Dang those snails! I love the vases esp. the one with the rose. Thanks! Sally

  • Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage

    I remember that poem! Can you imagine some folks actually enjoy eating snails? Yuck! No, thank you!! I like your vases; especially the pink one! Thank you for sharing and wishing you a beautiful weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

  • Carmen S.

    Snails can be rude lil' creatures when they feast on garden goodies:( I remember in Germany seeing the BIG snails in the big shells, even when I was there in '98 visiting, I saw one stuck to the side of a tree, very interesting!

  • Angela

    I love the vases today! They are just gorgeous!

    You are making me want to try to find some of that popcorn. I know my husband won't like it because he doesn't like anything sweet at all. Most of the time he don't even eat butter on his popcorn! I pop my own corn on the stove. Wonder if I could figure out how to do it without the other as I don't have a microwave! lol It died a few years ago and I discovered that I only used it to warm up water for tea.

    Hugs,
    Angela

  • OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts

    Holly, just pack those critters in a box and send um my way. They are my turtles favorite dinner. And no my turtliedurds are not french just good snail and slug hunters. Love the vases. I got a compliment on the ear bobs yesterday at....wait for it....Walmart. My neighbor who works there so we visit, aksed where I got them because they were so classy looking. See there, classy maker of classy ear bobs. Thanks again for my winning ear bobs.

  • Doris Sturm

    Oh, I love the forget-me-nots in the middle - I wonder if they grow here? I must try and see.

    Have a wonderful day. Today is Milltown Motorcade and I must go see what's going on.

    Have a nice weekend, M'lady :-)

  • Anonymous

    I like the poem..but then, I like Robert Browning....and the duck loves loves snails and slugs...for lunch.......

  • Denise Marie

    Holly, I'm in a beagle ate the cat's food again kinda mood today myself. OMG, Holly..I have no tact or filter...just laid it out there on a dear friend from high school that will probably never speak to me again...UGH!! I would not be moving a snail over to the mint!! I'd be out there speakin' real nice to the crop to grow, flourish, bloom and fruit.

    Speakin' of which I saw the coolest olden religious graphic of the almond branch. Should have copied it the 1st time.

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Back in the day...long before Crestor was a gleam in a lab coated scientists' eye...we would pop corn in a heavy lidded pan in saved bacon grease! Oh my...it was divine. No butter necessary~we'd fill a turkey roaster full of the stuff, and serve it to company who came over to play canasta around the kitchen table! Sigh...
    Love vase number three! They are all lovely though.
    Jim thought San Angelo, what he saw via the truck route anyway, was a "pretty, nice little town." I asked him how a town of 90K could be a small town??? They saw the river, and other watering holes he said. Might just be the place for donkey people.

  • Lois Christensen

    Okay, I remember Jiffy Pop Popcorn!!!

    Enjoy your weekend!

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...