Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Tuesday, April 6

Happy Birthday and A Mysterious Potato


Banner Haus News and Musings

I am going to grow a sweet potato this year! I have a large decorative pot, some peat moss and soil, and the "potato." I'll capture rainwater to use, too. I suspect and hope that this is a deep-sea yam of some sort and that it will enjoy the saline water we have out here. Isn't there something called a "Sea Yam", a rather ferocious denizen of the deep?

I dug all around in the sweet potato bin to get this lil' one. Looky its face...it just wanted to come home with me.

 Pay no attention to the blanket thrown onto the ground!

Quote

He could fiddle all the bugs off a sweet-potato vine.
~ Stephen Vincent Benet



Free Graphics

Hold yer disappointment, dearies. It's not a sweet potato with fins nor anything that imaginative. Just some vintage birthday images, in case there's someone yer wantin' to wish a Happy Birthday to somewheres on the Internet.

Regular-click 'em to get 'em bigger. Save either size with a right-click.




15 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Dawn

    Ha, love the face of the girl on her fanny. That'd be me on skates! That's one sweet tater too! We have lots of yams around here, even a baseball team called yams, and one called the nuts too now that I think about it! Mighty creative when you use produce for mascots!

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    I yam what I yam!
    Great idea Holly, growing sweet taters. I'm going to find some straw bales, "season" them, and use them as my base this year to grow veggies. It's an experiment!!
    Love these graphics! Just perfect for scrappin' or bloggin'.
    Good luck with your veggie venture!

  • Amrita

    Hi Holly today my internet connection is playing tricks on me, its super slow, but I am not slowing down.

    Handsome looking sweet potato. Ours are also a bit like this one, just the common variety. But we grow them after the rainy season.

    I like them boiled and fried.
    During a hindu 9 day fast they eat them as they are not allowed vegetables or grain. The ones we 've grown sometime s turn out stringy

  • Debra

    Sweet potatos have a very pretty vine- hope it grows for you!
    I love today's graphics!!

  • Doris Sturm

    I've never heard of a sea yam, but I heard of a sea cucumber...I'm going to try to sprout an avocado pit and see what'll happen. I don't have a lot of light for plants inside the house, but for the avocado, there's room on the kitchen window sill.
    Hope you had a lovely Easter, m'lady ;-)
    Doris :-)

  • Faith

    Holly,

    These do make pretty vines, had one many years ago...wouldn't mind trying it again.. Your tater's face resembles a shark...maybe it will be a sea yam. These are goood smothered in butter.

  • sjhackney

    Mmmm...baked sweet potatoes and butter sounds good right now. Good luck growin' them. I like the "Birthday Greetings" picture...so pretty. Sally

  • Carmen S.

    What a cute lil' sweet tater, did you have him wrapped in the blanket to keep him warm??

  • ★Carol★

    Goodness gracious, I snatched up those roller girls as soon as I saw them!
    I'm all giddy like a schoolgirl about that yam! I loved growing a tater vine when I was little, and finally tried one again a couple years ago. I had it outside, and it was doing really well, until a rotten squirrel decided to go digging around in the pot and killed it. You've inspired me to try again, and maybe with a little chicken wire over the top of the pot, I can keep the varmints out!

  • Angela

    Hey Holly!

    I've never grown sweet potatoes before but we did grow regular potatoes one year. They were really good!

    I love the Happy Birthday graphics!

    Thanks!
    Angela

  • Ms Sparrow

    I found the second birthday graphic a little overpowering. Of course, I'm a Minnesotan of Norwegian descent and we tend toward blandness,
    don'cha know...

  • Julia

    Hi H! Those little girls are so adorable. I should strive to look like that one time in my life... Or will hell freeze over?

    Regardless they are just cute as can be!

  • Anvilcloud

    Whoever was quoted about must have been a good fiddler indeed.

  • The Joy of Nesting

    OWG Rosey here,

    Oh do be ever so careful dear little sister!!!! I have heard tell that sea yams can grow to be 10 feet long and have root tentacles that can sneak through the tiniest slivers(not unlike la cucaracha)and on the nights of full moons they have been known to ensnare little donkey girls by the hooves and pull them over the edge of the pot...!!!!!!:)

    Pattie ;)
    Mazatlan Mx.

  • Nydia

    I love when a sweet potato grows, it's such a beautiful plant! I learned to have them in the kitchen with mom - she always has one in her window. SHow us when its leaves show up!

    Kisses from us.

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...