Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Tuesday, April 20

The Lonely Sweet Potato and A Pretty Camelia


Banner Haus News and Musings

I got to wondering how the lil' sweet potato I planted back a week or so ago was doing, hadn't seen any leaves come up, so I felt around in the dirt and pulled it out -- this cool weather has put the quietus on the poor thang, no sprouts nor roots were evident, so I decided to replant it over near some mint, with the hope that seeing all the mint growing and sending out runners will inspire it to do likewise. And mayhap the resulting potatoes will have a nice minty flavor.

Quote

I told you you'd live to regret tearing up my camellias.
  ~ Mrs. Dubose in To Kill A Mockingbird

Free Vintage Images

Here is a Victorian image of a camelia. Right-click to save.








14 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • SparkleFarkel

    Minty spuds? Sounds like a good plan! Picking one of your camelia posies for my blog page is, too! Lovely, simply lovely--> Thanks!

  • Debra

    Hope that sweet tater sprouts some roots for you!
    Beautiful camelias!!

  • Carmen S.

    Such lovlies those camelias are:) A mint flavored sweet potato sounds very interesting, hope it grows for you :)

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    I have a patch of chocolate mint, and everytime I brush by it to turn on the outdoor faucet...it smells like a candy bar.
    Those camelias are really pretty, always loved them. Grey skies here today...am thinking your TX rain has come to call.

  • LADY JANE

    Well girl I hope you are sittin down...surprised to see me out bloggin I bet....MUCH craziness here you know...as usual! I hope the boys are doing well! Jalina Rose is getting BIGGER and SMARTER everyday....and this Grammy spends a lot of time loving her up! TRYING to get this computer "cleaned: up and get back to blogging! Well at least a bit...but hugs to you all girlfriends...miss you all!

  • Doris Sturm

    I love sweet potatoes and yams - never tried growing them, though. The camelias in this neck of the woods are all done blooming already - they are sooooo pretty, but messy trees ;-)

    Right now it's Amaryllis time - they're blooming everywhere and popping up all around...they grow like weeds here and I just love them.

    Have a great day m'lady :-)

  • Amrita

    I am having such a lot of trouble commenting today. Tried so many times but failed. One more time.Love, Amy

  • Amrita

    Success at last.

    Hope your minty sweet potatoes come up
    We get ours in the fall-after the monsoons.

    The flowers are very pretty. Nice to see them in this dry season.

    I read that book as a kid andif I get my hands on it I will read it again.

    I bought a book by Roald Dahl and i am reading it now.Have you read his books?

  • ★Carol★

    Do you know that I have never ever read To Kill A Mockingbird? But after reading that quote, I think I have to. It sounded positively menacing!

  • sjhackney

    I'm reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" right now! It is one of my favorite movies too. I own a copy and watch it every time it's on TV. Thanks for the pretty flowers and good luck with that tater. Sally

  • Ms Sparrow

    Thanks for the camelia. I keep wondering about the "watery sunlight" you're having in Texas. Our light seems typical for this time of year but I'll keep checking it out. As a science fiction fan, I take things like that seriously!

  • Denise Marie

    O..Holly, you are such a delight!! I love camelias but don't have any at my cottage. Gotta rectify that situation. I think you are right..donkey fren..that is probably a weenie dog planter. lol I did exactly as you said..could not part with that face...sunk him into a pot like all froggy/toads do.

    Girl, we've hit the jackpot at a westernly place on the way to our camping sight. It is off a hwy wayyyy up North. I'll look it up and tell ya later. xox!

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    Oh those are so pretty! I have one camelia I planted several years ago but it's always slow to bloom and not growing much. I think it's too shaded. Hard to find a happy medium between the blazing sun and the shade of the oaks in this yard!

    Hope the sweet potato likes its new home better! You are so funny...

  • Linda @ A La Carte

    Oh the Camelias are wonderful. I received my ear bobs and they are so sweet! I will be posting about them soon! Thanks Holly!

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...