Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Friday, June 25

Typewriter ABCs and Repulsive Cards

Having slaved over manual and then electric typewriters, I dearly love our modern systems of writing. But I do miss the typewriter keys themselves. I have noticed them being incorporated into necklaces and other jewelry.

I might fly into a rant; the new summer cards by Hallmark are out. MISERABLE graphics, m'dears! Just dreadul. And the sentiments are even worse than the soccer-mom graphics, with the word BOOBIES featured constantly and spoiled-brat offspring's "cute sayings" on every other card. UGH. The punch line of many of the cards seems to be "Dang, girl, your boobs!" DON'T EVEN ASK, frens. DON'T EVEN ASK WHY. It's all I can do not to DROP THE CARDS OH-SO-ACCIDENTALLY and STEP on them.

Free Vintage-Style Typewriter Keys

Here are the first few letters, done typewriter key style. Perhaps in honor of the real keyboard I should have begun with QWER. I saw some similar images in the scrapbooking aisle at Michael's.

Right-click to save.




13 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    I'll bet kids today couldn't even type on a manual typewriter! Can you imagine? I think they're kinda cool myself.

  • Doris Sturm

    I had a couple of really old typewriters that I left behind when moving one day - an Olympic and a Remington - they weighed a TON.

    I have a feeling why the "boob" mention because it's the fad to have a boob job or else you're not practicing good hygene (he, he, he)... I dreaded summers in California where every middle-aged housewife brought their newly-acquired boobs out for display for the world to admire. I think it's a status symbol, like, let's say, driving a Benz....he, he, he.....

  • Anvilcloud

    I make far too many typos to have ever used a typewriter.

  • Debra

    Oh gosh! Boobie cards! Has Hallmark gotten desperate?
    I love these graphics!

  • Anonymous

    Don't even get me started about store cards. So many are just tasteless! I also make too many mistakes to ever be good with a typewriter. Thank goodness for "backspace" key. Thanks for the pics. Smiles, Sally

  • Carmen S.

    I won't ask:) Very strange card topics indeed, just another sign of the times I guess, the world going straight into the toilet with Hallmark leading the way! I loved the look of the old typewriters, never used one though.

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    What fantastic keyboard keys! Love the design and colors. Cool beans!
    We've all been slowly trained to accept the CRAP the companies are producing in most all products these days. It's corporate brainwashing into worldly and tasteless CRAP. Ugh.
    Coming here, each day, to read your point of view is refreshing and always a hoot.
    You are a good ol' western gal.

  • Dawn

    I've been pretty shocked in the card aisle lately. It seems there are no boundries for what's acceptable.

    Love the typewriter keys! When I took typewritting in high school I never learned the numbers because by that time I had a crush on the boy accross from me and spent the time daydreaming instead of practicing! I still have to look at the numbers when I type!

  • Anet

    What's Hallmark thinking?
    Thanks for the vintage typewriter keys!

  • Country Whispers

    The cards just keep getting worse. I didn't even get my Dad a Father's Day card this year because they were all simply ignorant.
    Not a one that I found even came close to being something worth giving!

  • Julia

    I was shopping for cards yesterday and was putting cards away in the Target mess-of-a-card aisle, and of course I immediately thought of you and your rants about irresponsible card shoppers. . .

    And we were recently reminiscing about typewriters and how we learned to type using them in high school. When we visited the USS Hornet they had several old fashioned antique typewrites on board and all the kids were asking what they were. They could not fathom at first that the typewriter is the predecessor to the computer.

    Times change so fast it seems.

  • Amrita

    I had a precious Underwood trypewriter and I sold it as scrap, because I no place to store it.

    Hope you are feeing good today.

  • Amrita

    Hi Holly hope you are OK, your Sat. post did not show up.

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...