Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Friday, June 11

The Sunflower Queen, and Drying Flowers

Banner Haus News and Musings

Donkey frens, don't fergit, if you want to press the flowers that are beginning to bloom, for cards and suchlike projects, just use an old phone book and put them in there. If you live in a lil' town, you might have to put a dictionary or a brick or somesuch on it. But if you live in a big city, just put the flowers in the second half of it and the weight of the first will dry them fine. Or just use an old book, the musty-smellin' kind that would just end up in the dump otherwise.

Don't fergit to dry a lot of leaves and stems, too. They're really useful when yer arranging a picture. I'm mentioning drying flowers because I picked up an old phone book and a shower of dried petals came sifting out.

Vintage Image of a Sunflower Queen

This gal looks like she spent considerable time making herself a lovely Sunflower Queen outfit. She's copyright-free and free fer the clicking.

I will admit I would dearly love to have a fancy outfit fer parades and things of that nature. But dull ol' Midland doesn't have occasions fer fancy costumes. I wanted to make a hoop-skirted Gingerbread Queen outfit, and a sparkling Ice Lady one, too. I wonder why I am thinking of wintery thangs with it being over a hundred outside.



11 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Simply Debbie

    Holly,
    She is adorable and pretty.
    You should sign up for Sares Birthday Celebration...it is June 17th and you have to dress as a "woman in history"...you could click on the button on my blog and then read the instructions...the more magical and fun, the better. YOU WOULD LOVE IT.
    I love the graphic so much.
    love and hugs
    Simply Debbie

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    How is your gal not surrounded by bees?
    This is really different and cute.
    Folks are gonna love it!
    The essence of Mother Nature, when young and still friendly....and not so tempermental~ he hee.

  • Amrita

    Hi Holly, I want to dry some flowers for you and send them along. Lets see if I can do that.

    I love the sunflower queen.Can we have an Ice Cream Cone Queen?

    Sonia and Ab left early morning. Miss them a lot.They live 5 hours away.

  • Angela

    This is funny! Maybe you and your husband can dress up as Mr. & Mrs. Claus and spread some Christmas cheer this year. I think that would be fun! I seen Paula Deen and her man do that one year on her show. I loved it!

    Have a Wonderful Weekend!
    Angela

  • Anonymous

    I like your sunflower gal. You're thinking of cold things...why?? 'Cause it's so blazin' hot! My grands and I started sunflower seeds in the house in late Spring and we planted them recently. They are already knee high. I love sunflowers and bees. I have them all over my kitchen. Try to keep cool and think of wintery things! Smiles, Sally

  • Debra

    Great tip for drying flowers!!
    I love the sunflower queen!
    I am sure you are trying to cool off thinking about winter!!

  • Julia

    Sunflower woman is beautiful!

    On the drying flowers...also using newspaper between the plants helps dry them a little faster. For my plant press I use blotter also but you have to order them special from companies that sell botany gear. I have not collected any plants in several years but through college and after I did. I really should give all my pressed botany to an herbarium.

  • Carmen S.

    I want to try the flower drying sometime, but I can't use an old phone book,the bunnies get those to play with;)

  • OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts

    I think you have given me a brain blop. I love the idea of costumes for a .....oh I gotta let it perculate and then let ya know....oh the excitement of a think.

  • Doris Sturm

    I had to laugh at your explanation about "if you live in a little town..." and I was thinking what has got that to do with anything? ... till I remembered our own town's phonebook ...it's a phonebooklet (he, he, he)...and if you want to rock your sleepy town, just go to market wearing your green crocheted hat with the strawberry scarf and see how many people will stop you (or point) depending on what mood they're in ;-)

    Wishing you and yours a lovely day and an evern better weekend - keep cool - in every way ;-)

  • Anvilcloud

    Cuppa used to do this but has moved on to other pursuits.

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...