Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Sunday, February 21

Vintage Bunnies Guard Large Egg

Comment Corral is Open!

Banner Haus Musings:


Xashee mentioned hand-clapping games yesterday. Those were my very favorite. But so many of the rhymes are now forgotten...

This one had lots of "triple-claps" and was fun to do:


A sailor went to sea-sea-sea

To see what he could see-see-see

But all that he could see-see-see
Was the bottom of the deep blue sea-sea-sea!


I think triplets were a very popular clapping-move:


Miss Mary Mack Mack Mack
All dressed in black black black
With silver buttons buttons buttons
All down her back back back
She asked her mother mother mother
For fifty cents cents cents
To see an elephant elephant elephant
Tump over the fence fence fence
He jumped so high high high
He reached the sky sky sky
And didn't come back back back
Til the fourth of July ly ly


Now who was it mentioning the Chinese jump-rope? I love it. It was basically a way to do "cat's cradle" sorts of things with your feet.

And how about the double bamboo poles, held by two girls, and which were hit twice on top of bricks, then drawn together with a snap as the "dancer" was busy with some tricky footwork in and out of the opening and closing rectangle? I wonder if other places had the amount of bamboo poles we had in old New Orleans. Bamboo was everywhere on our side of the river.

Vintage Postcard Freebie:  

These rabbits are onto ya. They know you want that big egg. 

Click to make bigger, then right-click to save onto yr own computer, donkey frens. Or save the smaller version is yr going to use it in yr sidebar.




16 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Buttercup

    This little donkey says hello. Remember the clapping games, jump rope and my favorite, hop scotch. It was amazing how we could amuse ourselves with so little, and have a really good time. I enjoyed your autograph book post. I still have mine from sixth grade.

  • Favourite Vintage Finds

    Hello! Thank you for this cheeky pair of bunnies who do look as though they are guarding that egg! :)

  • Amrita

    Eeyore Holly'''my goodness that looks like an ostritch egg.I want it too.I could eat it for 2 days.LOL

    We had those4 lkiitle rhymes in our school books. The are cute.Kids still play with them here.

    Now after braying here I have to get ready to go to the evening revival meeting.

    So eeyore and bye

  • Anonymous

    Good morning girl.. just popping in to say hi and thank you for the postcard. Hope you have a great week.

    Hugs,
    Stella

  • Carmen S.

    I remember the clapping games but we never did the bamboo poles here, that must have been a southern one:) Bunnies and forget-me-nots....two of my favorite things ;)

  • Debra

    i do remember the Chinese jump rope!! It's too bad kids don't play simple games like that today!

  • Lynn Barbadora

    OH my I remember those clapping games...could I bee that old? And the chinese jump rope we would spend hours happily jumping away....then we would get out our metal roller skates with the little key and clamp them on......
    Thanks for the wonderful memories
    Hugs,
    Lynn

  • sjhackney

    Thanks for the bunny graphic, Holly. I think their eyes are following me. No...I won't take your egg!! Enjoy your Sunday. Sally

  • Angela

    I do remember the clapping games. My daughter did do a few of the clapping games but she didn't do the jump rope ones. I don't think they jump rope at school like we did.

    Love the bunny graphic!

    Hugs,
    Angela

  • xashee's corner

    i use to LA LA LOVE those hand clapping games AND the jump rope too! i don't think the bamboo thing was in our area either but i did see a version that was similiar, on Malcolm in the Middle! hehe oh and how i LOVED to hop scotch too! if we could bottle kids' energy! hehe Thank you so much for ALLL that you share! Have a GREAT day! :)

  • Anonymous

    so glad you are letting us post! I did alot of jump roping as a girl...should do it again..do 60 year olds jump rope?

  • Faith

    Lovin the nostalgia....it brings back good wholesome memories.. Love the bunnies with big colorful eggs...Did you hear about the 4' rabbit? His name is Ralph or Henry? Saw a blip about it yesterday..HUGE!!! Do you remember the game we did with the folded up paper..with things written onthe paper you would put over your fingers? What was that called.? We didn't do the bamboo thing up here in Ohio...I am not familiar with that. The cat's cradle was fun too as somebody mentioned..Would keep us occupied for hours. What do the little girls do now? Hopscotch fun fun fun....too.....

  • Bernie

    So enjoying going down memory lane with you, thank you for the lovely post cards....Hugs

  • Ms Sparrow

    Jump rope rhyme...

    Down in the valley where the green grass grows
    There sat Holly sweet as a rose
    Along came Boyfriend)and gave her a peck.
    How many kisses did she get?
    1-2-3-4

  • Lady Farmer

    We played all of those games ~ jump rope, chinese jump rope and the bamboo poles, too! They weren't just a southern thing ~ (I'm in WA)
    I wonder if they have books at the library that have those rhymes and songs in them? I will have to check that out ~ would be a fun thing to teach the sweet granddaughters!
    For some odd reason, that brown bunny reminds me of Sherlock Holmes! I imagine him with a pipe in his teeth! Thanks for the cute image!
    Blessings!

  • The Joy of Nesting

    WG, Rosey here,

    I know this is hard to believe but It was the parents of the last 2 generations with their love of litigation that caused the demise of the old playground games. Jump rope, tether ball, dodge ball etc. It doesn't take schools very long to eliminate anything that could hurt a student and bring the threat of a lawsuit from parents. :(

    But enough of the underside of humanity. Has Spring sprung there yet???? I'm beginning to think that it's going to rain right up to the start of the "rainy season"!!!

    Pattie ;)
    Mazatlan Mx.

    PS. I've been missing your wonderfully pithy comment!! :( And no I refuse to get twitterpated, it's enough to keep up with every one's blog.

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...