Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Friday, February 19

Hare-Raising Graphic Fer Ye


Local News:
I'm in a big tussle with Blogger. I can't get my comments to look different from visitors' comments, like back on Penniwig's. Wah! And it's the same template! What gives? Fighting with pixels and bytes is just no fair. Show yerselves, ye cowards! Come out here and fight fair with this ol' gal!

Now some of ye know that I had a maniac on the card aisle the other day, a bad guy. Pushing against me. Now, today, there was another horrible person, going fer the front end, so to speak. I am going to start carrying my Pocket Flail. Maybe brass knuckles. I don't know.

Musings:
I miss the old-timey notion of having autograph books. When I was young, I had one, a gift from my only friend. Painfully shy, I eventually began taking it with me on my treks around New Orleans, and, in a burst of awkward courage, would sometimes ask folks to sign it. Here are a few of the verses written in it, circa 1968:

2 sweet
2 be
4-gotten

Holly had a little car,
That little car was red.
And everywhere that Holly went,
The cops picked up the dead.

When you get old,
And all out of shape,
Remember girdles
At 2.98

Of course, this old chestnut:

I thought, I thought, I thought in vain.
I thought until I wrecked my brain.
And then I though, "I'll sign my name."
[signed]

One of my favorites:

You ask me to write -
What will it be?
Two little words:
REMEMBER ME.

There's loads more. I love 'em.

Vintage Postcard Image Freebie:
Here's a pretty postcard to git yrselves in the mood for Easter! Mr. Rabbit looks rather distinguished, a bit elven if ye ask me.

Right-click to save, regular-click to load up a larger image first, then right-click the larger one.


18 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Cindy

    Hee Haw, it is looking good over here. Resurgence of the autograph book, that is a good idea. I had one too, don't know what ever happened to it. Take care.

  • Crystal

    I had an autograph dog! Remember them? They were made of white fabric which was easy to write upon with a pen.

    As a kid, I also loved to read my mother's autograph book, and always got a kick out of this one...

    "When you get older and you have twins - don't come to me for safety pins!"

    This was during the days of cloth diapers - pins needed!

    Funny thing is that my mother eventually DID have twins! (boys)

    Love your new site! :-)

    Crystal xo

  • SparkleFarkel

    Autograph books! I distinctly recall a young time in my life when I didn't go anywhere without one. On its treasured pages I collected wonderful sentiments from such famous people as the local grocery store cashier, the mailman, every aunt and uncle I could nail down the Fuller Brush Man, OR just about anyone in my path who could write! ("X"s were also welcome!) I can't remember exactly how it went, but my Aunt Mildred's scrawl was a short rhyme about me remembering to remember her whenever I was washing dishes, and ended with something like "wring out your, forget me not!"

    Thank you for this trip down Memory Lane!

  • Carmen S.

    I advise you carry PEPPER SPRAY in yer work apron to fend off the crazies! I never had an autograph book but my mother has one from her childhood which is all in German with some beautiful old stickers in it. You know I LOVE the bunny, kinda looks like Snickerdoodle:)

  • Faith

    Today Dear Dame.....is a beautiful sunny day here in Cleveland Ohio....and the temperature is hovering at 32..Some of this "stuff" will melt. Have a beautiful day...

  • Beansieleigh

    Oh, Holly! It's so good to be able just to say "Hi!".. Love the bunny today, and hope this finds ye well! Have a great weekend! ((hugs)) ~tina

  • Amrita

    Hi Holly, got my Internet re connected n after 3 days. How I lived without the web I can 't tell you, good to see I can talk back at you.

  • Debra

    I love the buny! I had forgotten about autograph books!Enjoyed reading bits of yours!!

  • Donna

    I see that Marty posed very well for you!

  • Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage

    'Morning Holly,
    I made a boo-boo in my first comment so I deleted it. That Bunny graphic is so cute! Thank you. I still have my old autograph book and the best thing I ever had written in it came from an old boyfriend, "I love you." He's now my hubby! *smiles* Have a great day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

  • sjhackney

    Gosh Holly, I'd forgotten my autograph book & yours made me laugh. By all means...pack and use the flail! Take care. Sally

  • Stitchesnstrokes

    Oh my gosh, I still have my autograph book too! Too funny! You brought back so many memories! LOL Thanks for the smile and the bunny too! :)

  • ClassyChassy

    I had an autograph HOUND when I was a kid - a big long white stuffed doxie that came with a special pen to write permanently on the fabric. while other kids had people signing their casts on legs and arms, I never had to have any broken bones - just passed them the dog and HOUNDED them to sign!

  • Ms Sparrow

    From my autograph book days:
    There are gold ships/And there are silver ships/But the best ship/Is Friendship.

  • Dawn

    Loving the grahics as usual, even checked out the dollar section ~ looking great! sNow how about a button so we can help spread your wit and wisdom all over blogland?

    Sound like you need hazard pay. Sorry they are being so bothersome. Flail away!

  • Bernie

    I have been visiting you for several months now without commenting, just enjoying your site. I love your new site and wish you much luck with it.
    I too had an autograph book and know I have it here some place just have to look for it. Great memories for sure. Have a wonderful weekend.......:-) Hugs

  • LADY JANE

    Rubbing my eyes,
    Can this be true?
    Someone can leave a comment for you?

    You call us little donkeys?
    I love yours SASS...
    And I'd rather be a donkey than a ASS!

    Hey wait a darn minute...I believe they ARE the same...
    So I'd better just send a hug and SIGN my name!

    You have already made great threat to folks with flail and brass knuckle...Now you have to e-mail ME to tell me...Have I made you chuckle?

  • Holly, the Old Western Gal

    Hi Lady Jane! How's my favorite pesky donkey? lol...oh yes, you make me laugh...in between the headaches and "oh no, she didn't really say that, did she"?

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...