Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Wednesday, February 24

Lil' Miss in A Springtime Gown


Banner Haus News and Musings:

My jonquils are about to bloom -- noticed them yesterday. I hope the snow benefitted them, or at least won't interfere with their beautiful, cheery blooms.

The yard is dappled with dandelions already. The backyard, that is; the front and side yards are rock.

In Colonial times, people had "swept" yards. No respectable person would have grass growing around their home. They actually would sweep the bare earth and kept it packed down very tightly. Sometimes they had a "sanded" yard, if they were well-off. People had sanded kitchens, too. Makes sense, when you consider the fire hazard wood and grass can pose.

Quote:

"All old women were beauties once, we very well know."
     -William Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Vintage Postcard Freebie:

Here we have a little blossom gal, taken from a vintage postcard and placed on a new background. Kindly click the picture to make a larger image load, then right-click it to save. 


21 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Crystal

    Such a darling little Miss! She looks as if she's about to dance. I especially love the leaves at her neckline. And the blossom in the bottom corner of the scene is the perfect finishing touch. I'll bet that is your addition, Holly! :-)

    Hugs,
    Crystal

  • Bernie

    I love the saying about old women once being beauties.....just don't remember when my beauty days were.

    You have the most beautiful blog, I love it.

    .......:-) Hugs

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    She is pretty! I am liking this new format with a little lagniappe! :)

    I cannot imagine the dirt that would be in my house above and beyond what it already is with all these critters with a dirt yard!! Especially in the heat with all that dirt dust flying about, ugh. And the mud with all that rain. I'll take my weeds over that for sure!

  • Carmen S.

    Oh how I'd love to see a dandelion about now, lol, ours won't come out til MAY:(

  • Amrita

    Hi Holly, please take a picture of your jonquils and dandelions , we donkeys would like to wag our tails at them. We won' t munch them down, I assure you.
    Our yard is also very difficult to keep clean of grass and shrubs. I' 'd like a large portion of it sanded too.

    Love the quote - and the lady.

  • Buttercup

    I think we have snow flakes about to bloom. Hurry spring, we really miss you!

  • A Joyful Chaos

    What a beautiful little blossom girl! I wish dandelions would start blooming here, I'm so sick of mud I really think if someone would come offer to buy our house I would move.

  • Debra

    Wonderful Vintage graphic!
    I am amazed you have dandelions with the snow! Hope your jonquils make it!!

  • Anonymous

    I did take this image today. I love it. Thank you Your new blog is so pretty. I hope you are well. Blessings
    QMM

  • sjhackney

    I miss the flowers even the dandelions. There's so much snow & cold in Illinois.Thanks for the pics and have a great day. Sally

  • Simply Debbie

    DEAR HOLLY,
    SHE IS A BEAUTY AND I LOVE THE BACKGROUND AND THE LITTLE ROSE IN THE CORNER. THIS PRECIOUS LITTLE GIRL ARE THE KIND OF PICTURES I LOVE.
    THANK YOU FOR HER.
    HAVE A BLESSED DAY.
    LOVE AND HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE AND GRACIE ANN

  • Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage

    Hi Holly,
    Your little blossom girl is sweet and just right for Spring. I am looking forward to flowers; even the dandelions! Have a lovely day, my dear.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

  • Knitty

    William Makepeace Thackeray was looking at me when he said that. I do remember him fondly.

  • Amrita

    Hi Holly I wanna add that your photo which appears on my blog comment box is very sweet

  • xashee's corner

    i am hoping our dandelions will pop up soon, with all the rain we had this season!
    Thanks so very much for sharing such a LOVELY graphic! let the SPRING begin! hehe

  • Gwen

    I want a waist so tiny that I can wear a flower belt!

  • Kerrie

    I just love the design of your new blog! So happy that you are posting. Hugs, Kerrie

  • Donna

    I didn't know that about swept yards! Interesting!

  • Angela

    I learned something new today! I didn't know that about the yards. Maybe that is why some people around here have muddy yards. I doubt it! lol

    Hugs,
    Angela

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    You have the most interesting lore to share.
    Love the quote...and the blossom babe.
    Jim is headed to Seely...I'll have to look in the atlas to see where in TX it is.
    Hope the snow is gone statewide there!

  • The Joy of Nesting

    Greetings WG, Rosey here,

    Years ago when I was a young mum, my across the alley neighbor was a young Mexican mum. When her mum from Mexico would come to visit the first thing the Grandma would do in the morning was sweep the dirt walk way and drive. For the life of me I could never figure out why. Now that I live in the Mexican dry forest it makes perfect sense during the dry season!! :) The dirt gets so dry and packed down it's like cement, so what you are sweeping is the loose stuff that was blown or tracked in. No different the sweeping the dirt and dust off your concrete patio!!

    Pattie ;)
    Mazatlan
    PS Smell the jonquils for me please. Spring bulbs is one of my favorite rights of passage to herald Spring!! Bulbs sadly do not grow here :(

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...