Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Saturday, February 20

Pretty Easter Vintage Postcard and A Curious Prediction

The Comment Corral is open, my donkey friends! Now, ye know I'm the biggest donkey of them all...I like company in that corral...

The Banner Haus News:
A prediction: A new comet soon to be declared!

And, my son is 20 today!

Old-Time Games
Along with the autograph book rhymes mentioned in the last post, as children we girls knew dozens of jump-rope rhymes and games.

There were simple games, with a single rope being turned at a reasonable rate, where someone could suddenly yell "Hot peppers!" and those turning the rope would pick up the pace dramatically and the rope would just become a blur.

There was also a way of mimicking the two-turner jump-roping, with a child holding one end of the rope and the other end tied to a pole or something similar. Although the mechanics of it all now escapes me, there was a way to both keep turning one end and to turn around and be within the twirling rope, as if there were a couple of friends turning the rope instead of just the single person. But it was heck on the shoulder.

Here are a few jump rope rhymes, that sometimes had movements associated with them (like running in and out of the rope):

Cinderella, dressed in yella,
Went upstairs to kiss a fella.
Made a mistake,
Kissed a snake.
How many doctors did it take?
1,2,3,4...[until you miss]

~*~

Not last night, but the night before,
Twenty-four robbers came knocking at my door.
I ran out, as they ran in.
Hit me on the head with a rolling pin.
I asked them what they wanted,
This is what they said:
"Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, do the splits!
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, do a kick!
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, touch the ground,
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, turn around!"

The Yankee kids said "Spanish Dancer, do the splits" etc., but we had the Teddy Bear version.

Vintage Easter Postcard Freebie
Remember, lil' donkeys, if ye click on the image, many times a larger image will load, if yr looking for a bigger image. Or, just right-click the smaller one if you intend on putting it in yr sidebar or something like that.

This gal has herself a very intelligent-looking rabbit, mayhap even a royal rabbit of some sort -- just look at its serene yet haughty expression.



26 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    I knew you wouldn't last!!!! LOVE YA GAL! :)

  • Marjorie (Molly) Smith

    Happy Birthday to your sweet son. They do grow up fast. How is he doing?
    I remember skipping rope with the best of them...years & years ago..lol..sure would hate to try it now..ROFLMBBO.. I can just see these big boobs bouncing and knocking myself out with one of them....lol...
    Love this sweet little girl.
    Molly

  • Amrita

    Happy birthday greetings to your son.Oh I wish I was 20 too. But I bet I will be 18 till I die.
    This evening I am going to the horticultural show.
    Love the poems and picture. The bunny looks as if he' s looking for an oppurtunity to jump out.

  • rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her

    Such a sweet, gentle and ... ::deep breath::: ... calming image this is.

    Needless to say, I love it. :)

    And yes ~ happy birthday to your son!!!

  • Carmen S.

    You know I'm snatchin' up all the bunnies:) I remember those jump rope rhymes from elementary school, every day at recess the boys would play kickball and us girls would jump rope or swing:) HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your son!!!!! Tell me....do they mature any between 18 and 20????

  • Holly, the Old Western Gal

    Howdy-do lil' donkey frens!

    I SAY IT AGAIN, GOSH, I MISSED YE and am so happy yr back!!! What wits you are! I lurve it.

    ~*~



    Carmen, there is a world of difference between 18 and 20. But they still have no real sense.

  • Debra

    Happy Birtyhday to your son!
    I love the graphic this morning!

  • sjhackney

    Hey Holly, thanks for the girl & bunny AND the jump rope rhymes. It's funny to remember these. It seems or maybe just feels like a hundred ago. Sally

  • Faith

    Love your memory....it goes back..I don't remember not one jump rope song...but I remember I loved to JR.... Remember the chinese one? It was one long continuous rope...what was all that about...? I am foggy on that...but oh I loved to JR. Think about doing it now, I have bad Knees..I think I could do it...hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? The little girl with the bunny...very nice a quiet little girl with a small quiet bunny...soooothing..

  • A Joyful Chaos

    Happy birthday to your son! The image is so pretty! I really like old timey pictures.

    Several weeks ago I helped my mother-in-law sort a lot of things that had been stashed away for years. She had box after box filled with old valentines and cards.

    I had to think of the pretty things you could do with them if I could find a way to get them to you.

    I enjoy those old jump rope rymes. They used to be so fun!

  • Donna

    Marty is smitten with that new rabbit!

  • Ms Sparrow

    Holly and (Boyfriend) sitting in a tree
    K-I-S-S-I-N-G
    First come love, then comes marriage
    Then comes Holly with a baby carriage!

  • Sarah

    Oh, I remember all of those jump rope antics. Those were fun times.
    Happy Birthday to your son. It's my birthday, too, but I'm not 20 anymore!!

  • Angela

    Happy Birthday to your son! Do you have anything special planned for him today?

    Lovely girl with a bunny! I'm so looking forwared to decorating for Easter!

    Hugs,
    Angela

  • SueLovesCherries

    That graphic is pretty - she looks like Bernadette Peters!

    (I feel as if all is right in the world again, now that you've opened up the Comment corral!)

  • Karen Beth

    Oh, the memories you brought back. I used to love to jump rope. I especially loved to do doubles. I am a Yankee, so we did the "Spanish Dancer" version, but I love the "Teddy Bear" version too. Thank you for the memories. I love you new blog.

  • Dawn

    Happy Birthday to your son!

    I rember all those rhymes, though I was (still am for that matter)rhythmically challeneged. Can't dance or jump rope! I also remember Miss Mary Mack. I was a little better at the hand clapping games but not much!

    Sweet graphic!
    Dawn

  • xashee's corner

    i LOVE this graphic!! thank you for sharing!! AND for sharing those jump rope sayings!! i have never heard those (raised on the east coast) and i wish i could kick the memory to share mine... it was something about calling the doctor and the doctor said...we would also say it to a hand clapping thing we did...they say the memory is the FIRST thing to go.......ohNO!! hehe
    thanks for the walk down memory lane!!
    HAPPIEST Birthday to your son!!
    Have a SUPER day! :D

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    Yay! It's good to see you interacting again!
    Wow, happy birthday to your twenty year old.
    Did you lose one of your sweet kitties?

  • Bernie

    Happy Birthday to your son.....I hope he has a wonderful day.
    Oh yes I do remember the fun of skipping especially in the Spring.......:-) Hugs

  • ★Carol★

    Happy Birthday to your son! And when did you start allowing comments, little missy?

  • Judi

    Good thing ya didn't give up the comments for Lent like me with my scatter-brained idea of givin' up thee sweets!! Glad to enter the corral ~ Judi

  • Country Whispers

    Lovely graphic today.
    Hope you son has a happy birthday!

  • Dorothy

    My first visit, happy birthday to your son.

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

  • BlossomFlowerGirl

    Many happy returns of the day to your son - my lad turns 20 next month.
    I was enver much good at "skippy" as we called it - I was nearly always the one who had to turn the handle. I remember as it came to the end of the rhyme it ended with "H.O.T. spells hot" - and the rope would turn faster and faster.
    Cheers.

  • Julia

    I can't believe the things that I said as a kid are EXACTLY the same coming from my son who I never told him. The silly kid rhymes that are kind of naughty...

    But I have to send you a photo since the girl and rabbit stirred up a memory. :)

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...