Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Wednesday, September 1

Pumpkinless Pie and Persimmon Rose Calling Card

September, dearies. This is just a vintage calling card that has been altered to have an autumn hue. Click it to enlarge.

I was itching to go off on a rant about Blog Etiquette According to One Who Knows, but can't get myself ireful enough to tackle it today. Something set me off but unfortunately the hysteria wore off before I could post.

In the meantime, here is that yam pie of which I tweeted. I put this up last year or year before, during the Great Pumpkinless Season, which has morphed into No Pumpkins, The Sequel.


Pumpkinless Pumpkin Pie

Two large or 4 small yams or sweet potatoes. Don't peel them yet.

Cook them in boiling salted water until tender -- for example, when you can stick 'em with a fork. Note: It is normal for them to smell like cat breath/gasoline when boiling. Do not let it alarm you.

If you don't have enough time to cook them all the way, take them out and zap them some.

Peel them and put in big bowl.

Add in one can sweetened condensed milk and an egg.

Beat on it all. Smack it with a potato masher, that's what I do. Whip it A BIT if you have an electric mixer. Pull out any strings of potato because picky people are scared of them.

Add in some spices. I added in pumpkin pie spice and threw in extra cinnamon and ginger, but better TOO BLAND than TOO SPICED because you can always dust it with more cinnamon when done if needed.

Now put it in a pie crust. Put in a 400 oven for 10 minutes and lower the heat to 325 for about 40 more or until done. You can tell it's done when you give the piepan a shake and it doesn't. Put a piece of tinfoil on it if it's getting too brown. Cook it up high in the oven, not on a lower rack.

It will flatten down nicely when cooled. This is a pioneer-style pie.


10 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Home and Heart

    Yum! Sounds good! Thank you for the image too!

  • OldeAnniePrimitives

    Aw, com'on...I love it when you rant! :) Pie sounds yummy! How 'bout sending me a piece! ~~Annie

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    That's exactly how I make pumpkin pie!
    Bring on the rant...you'll feel all better afterwards....y'know we love it when you rant.
    Lovely little calling card.

  • Carmen S.

    OH YUMMY!!!! I love sweet tater pie and now that it is september, I'm officially declaring it ..... FALL:D Happy FALL FREN;)

  • Debra

    Beautiful graphic!Thanks for the pie recipe!

  • Faith

    do you have some ready to share? I would just love some now with my AM coffee...Have a saaaaweeet day Miss Holly

  • Amrita

    I like your recipe and calling card.

    Gotta give a de=worming pill to Sheeba now. I try to make her swallow it and she cleverly spits it out. We have a few dry runs until she ingests it.

  • Anet

    cat breath/gasoline Oh so funny!

  • Anonymous

    That calling card is so nice...thanks! I hope nothing I did on my blog riled you up.
    My bloggin' is so lazy that I'm gettin' alittle riled though. lol That pie sounds so good, wish I had some now. Smiles, Sally

  • ByLightOfMoon

    I love your pie recipe Holly and it has to be made just as you say it too!
    I will get some taters and try it too. I usually just get precooked from store, that is my very lazy way, and Mrs. Smith's Pies are awesome also.

    I got some apples and caramel with my happy meal today, Yes, I still get Happy Meals and even got Red Riding Hood and Woof dolls. The Woofie is so adorable!

    OK, it is feeling like fall in my head. we have the Alabama State Fair happening now, but to hot to go, maybe a senior night will help with admission. I do love Ferris Wheels!

    See ya later.
    Smiles, Cyndi

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...