Pages

See Right Sidebar for List of Thousands of Safe, Free Images Perfect for Blogs, Scrapbooking, and More.


I'm not a Southern Beauty,
I'm not an Eastern rose;
I'm just a lil' Western Gal
With freckles on her nose.


Tuesday, September 7

Cruel Rant and For Autumn Birthdays, A Vintage Postcard

Here is the original and a hue-altered version of a pretty vintage copyright-free postcard design.

Click it to get it to load up a larger version.

I love the unusual colors of autumn mums -- I go for the really weird colors, the russets and such -- well, I "go for them" mentally, it's been years since I could indulge in actually getting a pot of mums, even at Walmart prices. 

Oh my dears, the money that once ran though my hands...*sigh* -- well actually ,that ran through various menfolks's hands as I watched admiringly, never clever enough to get any for my dear and most precious self...lol...

Which brings me to a rant -- calling myself Precious a la Gollum in the Lord of the Rings series of books brought it to mind -- *gag*

It's the habit of some bloggers -- even some of my dear bloggie FRENS -- to call themselves or their loved ones by idiotic and frankly stomach-churning names...

For example, they might refer to their sons and grandsons as "Superboy" and "Soccergenius," or "Grander #1" or "Grander #5" or "Bestest Grandboy" or other repulsively indulgent terms...

They hit their stride with their daughters and granddaughters -- witness monikers along the lines of "Prettykins" and "Dear Dolly Dumplin' Daughter" and "Giggle Girl" and "Sweetsieroo" -- 

But where they become truly nauseating -- making me get out my Sig Sauer and look at it longingly -- is when they discuss their husbands -- you know my temper about husbands --

This is the sort of thing that makes a woman put on a bandolier and run amok, virtually, anyway -- these sorts of flattering nicknames for what is, after all, little better than a danged ol' skunk -- A HUSBAND --

Manly Man
Sir Abs-A-Lot
Mister Muscles
Mister Nibbles
Mister "What Have You, As Long As It Is Dreadfully Twee"
The Man
The Boy-Man
Manboy?
The Him (THIS ONE IS REPULSIVELY POPULAR)
Cuddle-Fish
Cuddler
Lovebot
The Herminator
The Himinator
Love Bucket
Dreamboat

etc etc etc

Excuse me now, I have to go see what Mr. Skunky-Wunky and The Nifty Nerd want for breakfast...



18 bloggie frens have visited the Comment Corral:

  • Amrita

    Hi Holly, you are too funny.

    What 's in a name. I think thos e people strictly believe that a rose calle d by any other name would smell (or stink) as sweet.

    I think some men deserve to be called Dirty Socks (LOL)

  • Jane

    He he......

    Jane

  • homespun1

    How about "NO Fun Hon?"

  • ByLightOfMoon

    Yep Holly,
    You are SOooo Right! You call'em as you see'em and that is a good'ol gal!

    I love your rants and agree with you! What funny names you have found! Maybe when I say my DH, I should be saying, "My habit/half" or my "HH" , oh, new thoughts!

    I adore the mum cards, I can never buy them either, I wait for the pansies which last all winter here in the south.

    Smiles, Cyndi

  • Anonymous

    Oh my Holly, you are in a rare mood today. Or maybe not so rare, hmmm? I'll have to tell the "hubs" about this post. lol I love these mums. I hope mine come up this year. It's always a crap shoot with my gardening skills. Have a great week. Smiles, Sally

  • Anonymous

    LOL..know what you mean..some are just a little tooooo sweet...love the mums..they are about my favorite....

  • Dawn

    Thanks for the early birthday postcards, My Darling Dollface Donkey Freind!

  • Anvilcloud

    Thanks for the chuckly wuckly you lil puddin and pluckly.

  • ^..^Corgidogmama

    It's not even a Monday! I always call Jim Bonehead at home... maybe I should call him that on the blog. Love those mums.
    Have been going up and down back roads seeking bittersweet. When it's ready to pick, expect a package. Maybe that will soothe the savage beast lurking in your soul, and ranting to get out.
    Loved today's post!

  • Debra

    Oh My Gosh ! I have laughed until my sides split! You are so right about this name thing- I only call my husband by his name- sometimes with other words in front of it- can't mention them here! I love the mums- I can't afford to buy them either!

  • Mary | Deep South Dish

    Oh dear. LMAO! I call mine The Hubs or The Cajun - because of his Cajun background and because he does not want to be mentioned by his given name on my blogs. You really don't want to know the other names I call him the other times :) because well, he is A HUSBAND and most often, a pain in my backside. 'Nuff said me thinks!!

    On the other hand, love the florals!! :)

  • Doris Sturm

    Good golly Miss Holly... yes, I'm still alive!

    You know what those flowers remind me of? (especially the purple one with the yellow center) Asters! We grew them in our garden in Germany and they came in all sorts of colors and looked like mums only with longer stemps and longer pedals...nice pictures!

    Can you believe it? It's almost time for the holidays again! Yeahhhh! (I'm so bad, wishing my life away!)

  • Doris Sturm

    stems, not stemps...silly me ;-)

  • ByLightOfMoon

    My dear Holly friend,
    I received you FUN Gifties in the mail today for nothing more than a comment post! The Halloween Book of Fun, Food and Crafts will be fun to read on my weekend roadtrip and the Pumpkin is already a fridge magnet, named "Holly"! Oh, and the Halloween cards will be sent to my family in October! I adore you and thanks so very much!
    Smiles, Cyndi

  • Julia

    You are in great form today Holly. I guess I don't annoy you with our real names then.

  • Ms Sparrow

    You said a mouthful, little gal! But then, maybe I'm jealous because I have never had a nickname. I'm always just plain old me!

  • Home and Heart

    Those names are a lot NICER than what I would call my ex!!!

  • Bernie

    This is so funny, and what you say is true. I don't know though Holly I don't mind everyone using pet names....perhaps it is because I am on my own and would enjoy having some strange and wonderful creature around to take care of everything......big hugs from Canada

Post a Comment

The comment corral is open. Come on in, little donkeys...